LIKE MY BLOG? Click below on "FOLLOW" and add yourself to the list of my followers!

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION
All pictures (and blogposts) are copyrighted and may not be reproduced/used in any manner without my PRIOR approval. Thank you for respecting my hard work.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

More Dumb State Laws: Illinois

Time again for more dumb state laws! (along with MY COMMENTS in bold italics)

This time?

The great state of ILLINOIS!!






1. You may be arrested for vagrancy if you do not have at least one dollar bill on your person.
Cash, people! NO credit cards in Illinois...better at least have a dollar on you, or your butt is going over the border! In Walmart in Illinois, maybe the greeter checks your pockets to see if you have a dollar on you?

2. You must contact the police before entering the city in an automobile.
No WONDER all those tollways near Chicago get backed up when I am on them. They just don't want you to drive into the city until they pick up the phone and ask the police first.


3. The English language is not to be spoken.
In all of Illinois? Wow. Who knew? I either have to learn sign language before I go there or I gotta learn a different language. No WONDER I couldn't understand that hysterical guy that yelled something out his car window at me when I was there!

4. In Champaigne:
One may not pee in his neighbor’s mouth.
But if you live in Chicago? Oh yeah, go right ahead. Just don't warn your neighbor in ENGLISH first!

5. In Chicago:
Law forbids eating in a place that is on fire.
Not even if you are in a "fast food" place? Not even if you eat realllllly fast? Not even if it is serving barbecue food? What about if you order bananas flambe? What if you just wanted to roast marshmallows?

6. In Chicago:
It is illegal to give a dog whiskey.
Dang. I will just give him a Bud light then. How else do I get to giggle when I watch him stagger?

7. In Chicago:
It is forbidden to fish while sitting on a giraffe’s neck.
If you remember, this is also illegal in another state in a previous blogpost. Who knew this was going on in several states and they all needed laws to prevent it!?

8. In Chicago:
It is legal to protest naked in front of city hall as long as you are under seventeen years of age and have legal permits.
Finally...something that IS legal! But Chicago is COLD...so I hope they do this in the summer. Oh, and by the way, should one of us call Chicago and remind them that some 15 and 16 year olds are pretty "hot", so they may want to consider lowering the age here for this one? And what kind of permit does a kid under seventeen apply for to protest naked in Chicago? (oh, probably a BAA) (You know, a Bare Arse Application). What are these kids going to protest anyway? Wearing clothes?

9. In Cicero:
Humming on public streets is prohibited on Sundays.
Not even if you are humming a hymn? Amazing Grace? Geeesh. Maybe they can sing on Sundays on public streets (as long as it isn't in ENGLISH!)

10. In Crete:
It is considered an offense to attempt to have sex with one’s dog.
Well, good for Crete. The only city in Illinois where you can't have sex with one's dog. Wait a minute...does this mean in Crete, you can have sex with someone ELSE's dog? Or a cat? And for goodness sake, don't be protesting naked or be humming while you are doing it...

11. In Crete:
Cars may not be driven through the town.
They must have a biggggg parking lot just outside of Crete, then.

12. In Evanston:
Bowling is forbidden.
Bummer. Fred Flintstone would have been disappointed, not being able to go up on his twinkle toes in Evanston. And forget about not being able to wear those cool bowling shirts in Evanston. Snobs!

13. In Evanston:
It is unlawful to change clothes in an automobile with the curtains drawn, except in case of fire.
I don't know about you, but I don't HAVE curtains in my auto. Do you? And why would you change clothes in your car if there was a fire? I know you can't eat in a restaurant that is on fire, they made that clear, but evidently now I CAN change my clothes in my car after that.

14. In Galesburg:
No person may keep a smelly dog.
Well, it may keep all that sex with dogs down, though.

15. In Galesburg:
It is illegal to burn bird feathers.
Especially if they are still on the bird. Woooo-haaaaa! Do they know the stop, drop and roll rule? Maybe THAT is how they named the flamingo... (FLAME-ING-O).

16. In Galesburg:
Jostling others is illegal.
No renaissance fairs there, then. Dang. I really like those big turkey legs and men in tights.

17. In Galesburg:
No bicyclist may practice “fancy riding” on any city street.
Dang gummit. None of that "fancy riding" ya hear? Just drive your bikes straight and for the love of God, don't enjoy it. NO SMILING!

18. In Galesburg:
There is a $1,000 dollar fine for beating rats with baseball bats.
You can, however, use a tennis racket....they bounce off the net so much better that way.

19. In Horner:
It is against the law to use a slingshot unless your are a law enforcement officer.
I am going straigt to Horner to rob a bank...the police there have slingshots--do you KNOW how long it takes them to reload the rocks into the slingshots? Little town Horner, had a bank on the corner......

20. In Joliet:
Town fathers, reflecting the pet peeve of hearing their town’s name mispronounced ‘Jolly-ETTE’ when all local folk know it’s pronounced ‘Joe-lee-ETTE’, made pronouncing it Jolly-ette a misdemeanor, punishable by a $5 fine.
Now THAT's an idea!!! We should ALL do this....if anyone mispronounces your town's name....just hit them with a fine. Man, some of us would be RICH. You must have etiquette in Joliet!

21. In Kenilworth:
A rooster must step back three hundred feet from any residence if he wishes to crow.
How do they inform the roosters? I noticed this was a law in another state before Illinois' laws...they must all have a lot of loud, obnoxious roosters around!

22. In Kirkland:
Bees are not allowed to fly over the village or through any of Kriland’s streets.
Not only must they have to inform the roosters, but now Kirkland has to inform the bees of this rule. YOU go tell them...NO, YOU go tell them...Not ME, YOU go tell them.
Wonder if they are allowed to march through town in a single line instead of fly over then?

23. In Moline:
Ice skating at the Riverside pond during the months of June and August is prohibited.
Pretty safe law there..because Moline must be pretty warm then and its too darn hard to make ice rinks out of the ponds there, then.

24. In Normal:
It is against the law to make faces at dogs.
But sex is okay as long as you don't own that dog. (see the laws above). And what happens if someone DOES make a face at a dog? It's not like the dog can walk into the police station and file a report against you, right? And cats? They are fair game..go ahead...stick your tongue out. Just remember, they have CLAWS!

25. In Zion:
It is illegal for anyone to give lighted cigars to dogs, cats, or any other domesticated animals.
I am glad you can't give the animals lighted cigars, because then they won't get lung cancer. And don't give them SNUFF either. I hate it when they drool all that junk out of their mouths at their water dishes! Yuck!!!!

11 comments:

Kearsie said...

Note to self: do not ever go to Illinois.

Unknown said...

OMG! Those are hysterical. Fishing on a giraffes neck? You wonder how this laws were concocted in the first place. Were they sitting around getting high and someone said, "Hey, you know what would be really cool? If we passed a law that said......"

Ann said...

Some of those are the dumbest I have ever read. Can you believe them???

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Crazy and funny, Joan... I like your comments as much as I like the original laws.. You are the FUNNY one!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

Fran Hill said...

So many of these are to do with animals. Does Illinois have some kind of history in this regard?

Insanitykim said...

I was gonna highlight the hysterical parts, but then I would have had to copy your entire post in this comment!

This is CRAZY!

And as always your comments are hysterical, especially when you combine the laws together.

Oh man, I think this state is the wackiest yet!!

The Retired One said...

Kearsie: Chicago is a pretty cool place to visit...so go ahead and visit, just bring bail money. ha

Eva: yes, a lot of the states have laws related to animals, don't they?
Probably because people are such animals!

Grannyann: Life was pretty different when they were passed, I bet!

Betsy: I love the ridiculousness of all of the old state laws..and always wonder where they came from and why they came about!

Fran: You gotta wonder about all the animal laws from all these states,don't you?

Insanity: All of the states' laws have been wacky, haven't they? I can't wait to get to my state...I am sure they will be as goofy as the others!!!!

Bernie said...

Are these laws for real. soooo funny but I have to admit your comments are even funnier....smiles

Not in a hurry to visit this State although I do have Chicago in my bucket list.....thanks for the chuckle sweetie.....:-) Hugs

Rick (Ratty) said...

I've said before that I wonder what event must have caused these laws to be created, but right now I keep wondering what the looks on those guys faces must have been when they made these.

SquirrelQueen said...

What is it with fishing and giraffes? I really wonder where this law(s) came from.

These posts are always so much fun. Your comments are the best part.

Judy

The Retired One said...

Bernie: Chicago is wonderful, I hope you get to go there sometime. My son-in-law takes the "L" subway and works downtown Chicago every day. If you get there, go to Navy Pier right on the water...lots of fun stuff to see and do there! And take the river guide tours!

Ratty: I know! The history behind some of them must be quite interesting! I wonder if 100 years from now, people will laugh at the laws we are making NOW, too?

SquirrelQueen: thanks so much...I am glad folks are enjoying this series!

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.
Please do not copy any of my photographs (or narratives) without my permission! All pictures will be tracked for copyright violations.

Lijit Search

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About Me

My photo
I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!

Blog Archive

ultimate translation selector

To get more traffic to your blog: