LIKE MY BLOG? Click below on "FOLLOW" and add yourself to the list of my followers!

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION
All pictures (and blogposts) are copyrighted and may not be reproduced/used in any manner without my PRIOR approval. Thank you for respecting my hard work.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Lake Superior Winter Splendor: Part ONE

We have had some subzero weather this week, but on the day that I took these pictures, it warmed to a balmy 19 degrees with sun and there was just a little breeze outside.


I took the opportunity to go to Lake Superior's shores (without my boot cast...yup, the Dr. said I didn't need to wear it anymore for my fractured foot! YAY!).


I was hoping the snow and open water would yield some nice photos and I wanted to treasure hunt for ice formations on the shore there.


I found some!



I just loved this frozen "hat" of ice that formed on the top and over the lake stone:


I was concentrating so hard looking for ice formations on the shoreline, that I almost missed

HIM!:

He was just paddling around silently with his female companion on the big lake.
After getting him on camera, I turned back to looking for more ice formations. If you look by the ice, down in the water, you can see a huge Lake Superior stone under the clear water, too:




Ok. Just one more of this beautiful duck and we will move on...



This is looking out at what is called "Picnic Rocks"...which consists of three of these little rock islands. I loved the icy shore too:




Everywhere I looked there were interesting ice formations on the shore:




Even lacy ones:





Another HAT.....ice that covered the huge stones sticking out from the water:


And bumpy ice!:




And stalagtite ice, reaching right into the frozen beach sand!:

I took so many photos there, I had to divide them into more than one blogpost.
Stay tuned tomorrow for Part 2.

24 comments:

Brian Miller said...

wow. love those ice shots...almost seem frozen in mid flow...and i bet your buddies feet are freezing!

The Retired One said...

Brian: I was thinking the same thing the day I was there...Brrrr!

rainfield61 said...

can't imagine how you look if you wear that frozen hat.

DJan said...

After going to the Flower Show in Seattle yesterday, I am so ready for spring, but your frozen ice reminded me it's still not time!

Jeanette said...

Great shots! I am always amazed that ducks can swim in such cold water!!

Unknown said...

Beautiful shots...but you must have frozen your keister taking them!

Anonymous said...

beautiful shots. It does look cold!!!

Jientje said...

It looks very cold, but ooooooooohhh so pretty! I've never seen anything like it!

Unknown said...

Ah, nothing is better than the great lake! Mmmm...ice pictures! They are a beauty.

CiCi said...

The one icy photo looks like someone emptied out their large ice chest of ice cubes.
The colors the duck paddles around showing off are gorgeous, aren't they?

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Joan, How far are you from Lake Superior???? You got some fabulous pictures while there. Looks SO very very cold!!!!!

Hope your foot is better. I haven't had anymore trouble with mine. (Knock on wood!)

Hugs,
Betsy

The Retired One said...

Rainfield: You would look cold.ha

DJan: I hear you! It doesn't get spring in our parts until around the end of April or in May.

Jeannette: Good thing their feet are orange...otherwise they would be BLUE.

Eva: Actually, it seemed like a heatwave of the high 20's...we had been having teens with a cold wind..that day it was sunny and still and gorgeous out!

Cathy: Now that you have warm Texas blood, it would have seemed cold to you...it was in the high 20's with sun and still (no wind) so it was a nice day for us.

Jientje: I love looking at ice and snow shapes and the big lake together.

Ashley: Yes..the great lakes are awesome.

Technobabe: yes, I have never met a duck that I haven't liked. :-}

Betsy: We live really close to Lake Superior. It is in Marquette,Michigan and we live only about 40 minutes from there. We do most of our shopping there too.

Wanda..... said...

I'm cold anyway, but you just made me colder, Joan!

Ginnymo said...

Awesome to see the lake in winter like that! The ducks are beautiful too!!

L. D. said...

What beautiful ice formations. I am really impressed with that mallard duck. I had to look twice to see if he was real. That shine on that green head is wonderful.

Bernie said...

Amazing Joan, love every one. I don't know how you do it as I keep trying to take a picture of my favorite picture you sent me, (it looks beautiful on my wall) but the waterfalls comes through as a big spot of light and doesn't show how gorgeous it is) I'll keep trying as I do want you to see it hanging on my wall. Luv you..Hugs

Ann said...

Here I am trying to stay warm and there you are in ice heaven, freezing me out. Beautiful pics tho

The Retired One said...

Wanda: you are so funny!

Ginnymo: I love mallard ducks.

L.D.: Yes, he was a handsome fellow...I just love mallards and mergansers!

Bernie: that's okay, Sweetie....no need to stress yourself out on trying to take a picture of it.

Grannyann: In ice heaven...hahahaa

Sara said...

The formations are so gorgeous, but I keep looking at the duck. He is so beautiful!

Leah said...

Beautiful pictures - especially the duck (his colors are just vibrant) -- I enjoyed seeing the winter side of Lake Superior -- so very cold!

The Retired One said...

Sara: I was so surprised to see the duck out there...he is gorgeous, isn't he?

GrowingUP: well, it was cold,but nice compared to some of the days we have had this month!

Rick (Ratty) said...

So many very interesting ice formations. I've been looking for things like this too, but mine aren't nearly as interesting as these.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Hi RO! (Does anyone ever call you that?)

I am in the process of cleaning out my mailbox because my computer says the start up screen is full, and I need to delete some things. I got sidetracked at one of yours, because I wanted to see if this was the person who left a review of a dishwasher, but you aren't. I love your series of photos of the lake and your woodpecker.

The Retired One said...

Ratty: Keep looking, you will find some, I am sure!

Corner Gardener: yes, a few folks call me R.O. ha Thanks so much for your nice comments on my photos..hope you stop by again soon!

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.
Please do not copy any of my photographs (or narratives) without my permission! All pictures will be tracked for copyright violations.

Lijit Search

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About Me

My photo
I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!

Blog Archive

ultimate translation selector

To get more traffic to your blog: