LIKE MY BLOG? Click below on "FOLLOW" and add yourself to the list of my followers!

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION
All pictures (and blogposts) are copyrighted and may not be reproduced/used in any manner without my PRIOR approval. Thank you for respecting my hard work.

Monday, July 4, 2011

Smitten and Distracted

I am smitten.
It happens every spring.

It's wildflowers.

And

Trilliums in particular.

They bloom here around Memorial Day, give or take a few weeks,
and
then they only live for about a week and die.

But while they are here,
they are glorious.

We were heading for a wedding late May and I spied
some on the side of the road.

I wanted to stop and get some photos, but my husband didn't think
it a good idea to hike up my long skirt to climb over the grass on a public highway in my heels to do so.
(Silly man).

But, I honored his opinion and waited until the next day to go out
to our favorite place in the woods
to capture some shots of them.

We found a whole entire hillside of them!:







I just love looking at flowers from all different angles:















Some even had some wild forget-me-nots
beside them too!:

Then I spied a beautiful light blue butterfly
flitting all over.
I must have chased him for 5 minutes and he would land
but with his wings CLOSED.

I finally captured one of him with his wings
partially open and on a wild strawberry blossom:

Now...
where WAS I?
Oh yeah..
the trilliums...
(See? Didn't I tell you I was distracted from all of Nature's wildflower beauty?)

Do you SEE why Trilliums are one of my favorite wildflower?
They are protected in Michigan and cannot be picked or transplanted:


And then the apple blossoms
came out.

Oh.
My.

And we had a flock of Bohemian Waxwings
fly into our yard and start eating the blossoms with flurry!:










Where was I (again??)

Oh,  yes...
the Trilliums!:

You can see why I get distracted
with our U.P. Spring.
Everywhere you look, there are gorgeous wildflowers
and birds and blossoms.

I wanted to get back out to take more Trillium photos and we got a few weeks straight of rain!
So it's a good thing I got out there that ONE day.

***********************************************
Happy 4th of July everyone!
Hope you are having a wonderful holiday filled with family and fun!

17 comments:

Rita said...

Not only did I love the trilliums, but all the rest! Especially the little forget-me-nots and the butterfly you chased about. Happy 4th to you, too! :)

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL!! We finally had a flock of waxwings in our yard last night. They usually stay in the woods. I think they were looking for the big birdbath/fountain I use to have out. It isn't there anymore and they couldn't all fit in the small one so they left!

Brian Miller said...

haha. now you got me all distracted as well...lol. lovely wild flowers...rather fond of the blossoms myself...

MadSnapper said...

wowee kozowie on the last few bird shots in the flowering trees. they are stunning and i love them. i also like the looking up from the ground shots of the flowers. so much beauty out there and you found a lot of it. wish you had lifted the dress and climbing over and had hubby take photos of it... ha ha happy 4th

MadSnapper said...

forgot to say i like that blue butterfly, have not seen one of those before.

Sandi McBride said...

Loving these photos! Wild violets and Johnny Jumpups are also favorites of mine. They scream spring, don't they?
Happy 4th to you and yours
Sandi

Bossy Betty said...

I can see why you would get distracted and what wonderful distractions these are!

Happy Fourth of July to you and yours!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Oh my.These are gorgeous.It is amazing,how a flower ,so simple can be so beautiful.

Grandmother Mary said...

Beautiful photos. You finally caught the butterfly's blue upper side! I haven't been able to yet.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I love the Trilliums also. The Smokies are full of them. Great pictures, Joan... Makes me yearn for SPRING --now that we are in our hot summer here.

Happy 4th
Hugs,
Betsy

Pat said...

We call those birds Cedar Waxwings but they look the same. Your photos are always so clear and sharp. I truly enjoy them.

Debbie Lo said...

With all the beauty in your area, I don't know how you manage to get ANYTHING done around your place! LOLOL

Absolutely gorgeous photos, as always, Joan.

Ann said...

my favorites are the apple blossom. so pretty

Hilary said...

They're beautiful distractions indeed. Trillium are protected here in Ontario too. It's out provincial flower. You sure took some lovely shots of them. Nicely done.

Sharon Wagner said...

A million trilliums. And wonderful circle entries. I think I have a bird shot in mind. But I have a trillium of them to choose from!

Ryan said...

A truly mixed bag of wild flowers there, you never know what you're going to see.
Happy 4th of July

Unknown said...

Love the little forget-me-nots and the butterfly! Once again, beautiful photos.

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.
Please do not copy any of my photographs (or narratives) without my permission! All pictures will be tracked for copyright violations.

Lijit Search

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About Me

My photo
I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!

Blog Archive

ultimate translation selector

To get more traffic to your blog: