LIKE MY BLOG? Click below on "FOLLOW" and add yourself to the list of my followers!

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION
All pictures (and blogposts) are copyrighted and may not be reproduced/used in any manner without my PRIOR approval. Thank you for respecting my hard work.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Spring Trip to the U.P. Woods!--Part Two

Now I am a happy woman....
the Spring runoff of melting snow is long past,
which means we can go out on the two rut roads 
in the U.P.
and look for critters and Spring/early summer scenery.

Part of the thrill for me is never knowing what we will find
around the next corner.



I LOVE seeing Partridge, but they are very shy birds and hard to capture on camera! So when we saw this one on the edge of the road, I had to scramble (quietly!) out of the car to get a shot of him:
(Have you EVER had to scramble out of a car quietly??...it's an ART, I tell 'ya!!)






Does anyone know what kind of bird this is? Is it a tern? I have never seen one of these in our woods before:







Look at the SIZE of these prehistoric-looking rocks!!  If I ever had any doubt that a glacier came down and formed our land, well....this is PROOF!!:








We sure have seen the Mallards this Spring!:














In May, these were the first wildflowers on the wood's floor that we spied...Trout Lilies!:













Their bright, sunny yellow after all the dull winter browns are a delight to see...they came out here WAY before the trees got their leaves:







I spotted our first Spring turtle too!:






And then another turtle! (Can you see him on that rock...wayyyyy out on the beaver pond?)







More ducks!:






Geese:






And it must be time to fish...here is the first water-skipper I saw of the season! He is floating on water in this shot...the sunlight is lighting up where each of his legs are balancing on the water:

More pictures are coming your way of our continued wilderness adventures...
hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoy taking them.

Wait.

That would be IMPOSSIBLE !!

21 comments:

Country Gal said...

Fantastic photos !
I believe the bird in the second photo is a Sand Pipper ! Have a great day !

MadSnapper said...

the way out in the beaver pond shot is my favorite, it is stunning and beautiful. love that yellow flower. have not seen a partridge, so thanks for that, he blends in with the backfound really well. i enjoyed by trip today seeing sights i have not seen

Vicki Holdwick said...

Oh no, it is not impossible that I might enjoy looking at your pix as much as you enjoy taking them. I just wish I was out rambling on the back roads with you.

xoxo

Brian Miller said...

that second mallard shot is awesome...great framing...love the water glider too...saw baby turkeys yesterday in the wild...about the size of softballs, so cool

DJan said...

You know I always enjoy your pictures but seldom comment, but that last shot! Oh my!! It's just magical... thank you for sharing it! :-)

Unknown said...

Lovely photos. The yellow lily and the male mallard are especially stunning.

Bossy Betty said...

Ah! Mighty Hunter! You have done well! These are some great images.

Cher' Shots said...

Cool pics ~ we saw our first back yard fawn yesterday! Hoping to get pics soon!
'hugs from afar'

Rita said...

I agree! The picture of the water-skipper is absolutely magical! The lilies are gorgeous. I love the red-eared mud turtles or sliders or painted turtles or green turtles. (Not sure what their proper name is--have heard them called all those names.) I love when they pile up on logs to sun themselves. Never get tired of the mallards--grew up with them, too. Yup-I think that's a sandpiper.

It is more fun for you because you get to hear and smell everything, but you bring me right back to growing up next to a small lake and prairie grass--and I can remember how it smells and sounds. Thanks so much!! :):)

Ruth Hiebert said...

I love tagging along as you get these fantastic pictures.Thanks.

Emma Springfield said...

Spring is in the UP!

Pat said...

Wow, a partridge! The only partridge I have ever seen rode in a hippie bus and were called The Partridge FAMILY!

Yes, that is a sand piper bird.

Enjoyed all the photos, as usual!

Andrea said...

Those are awesome magnificent shots. I especially love the water skipper because i cannot take a shot like that. But all the shots are envy-provoking. For that lily i love also the leaves, it can be domesticated for the garden, lovely.

SquirrelQueen said...

It looks like spring has officially sprung in your neck of the woods. The Trout Lilies are gorgeous and you know I love the ducks.

Grandmother Mary said...

I'd never seen a water- skipper. That's amazing!

Debbie Lo said...

What a neat photo of the water-skipper with the sun lighting up where his legs touch the water. And the yellow lily is just gorgous. I, too, love seeing turtles in the water!

More wonderful picture, as usual, Joan. It's like you're taking us on a tour of the U.P. while we're still in our own homes! :-)

Tom & I will be in the U.P. for 4 days at the end of July, and hopefully we'll get to see some of the beauty that you get to enjoy every day.

Hilary said...

I love the water skipper shot. It's perfect. Your mystery bird is indeed a sandpiper. Beauties, aren't they?

Unknown said...

Great Post. I really love the Trout Lillies,and Spring turttles.

Anonymous said...

I think that one little bird with the long legs is related to a piping plover. It isn't a tern. I will try to remember to send you a photo of a tern (or post it on my blog, which ever I remember first!). That insect shot is very good...glad it isn't a spider or I'd have been like that gal on the commercial about the "realistic colors" on that cell phone!

Dawn Fine said...

Great Photos-looks like a great place to be. The bird in question looks like a Solitary Sandpiper

Dawn Fine said...

What a great place, all kinds of wonderful critters. Your bird looks like a Solitary Sandpiper

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.
Please do not copy any of my photographs (or narratives) without my permission! All pictures will be tracked for copyright violations.

Lijit Search

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About Me

My photo
I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!

Blog Archive

ultimate translation selector

To get more traffic to your blog: