LIKE MY BLOG? Click below on "FOLLOW" and add yourself to the list of my followers!

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION
All pictures (and blogposts) are copyrighted and may not be reproduced/used in any manner without my PRIOR approval. Thank you for respecting my hard work.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Remind Me NOT to Hail a Taxi in England....

The regulars that read my blog know that sometimes I veer away from photography now and then
and 
do some fun stuff on my blog.

One of the things I occasionally do is FUNNY  REAL NEWS stories
and then MY COMMENTS in bold italics.

Today 
is 
one of those days!!!


 READY????

Here goes!:







In February, aspirants for taxicab licenses in Portsmouth, England, were officially
informed by the City Council that application forms are available in
other languages or in "audio," "large print," or "Braille." [Job
Announcement cited in Volokh Conspiracy blog, 2-3-10] [Daily
Telegraph, 1-30-10]

********************************************************************
Say WHAT????

1. So, you can get a BRAILLE application to drive a taxi in England?
2. And, don't worry if you really aren't BLIND, but you can still get it in LARGE PRINT so you can SEE IT???

3. If you can't read, you can get it in AUDIO....so, don't worry about those STOP signs and ROAD signs,  and STREET NAME signs, they really don't matter, do they?

4. Remind me to opt for those darling horse and carriage rides instead of a cab in England then, okay? Maybe the horse can see, at least.  Oh, and maybe they can speak better English too.

10 comments:

Jeanne Estridge said...

That's pretty scary.

I wonder if the drivers of those double-decker buses have to be able to see and read?

Unknown said...

LOL, unbelievable that it's offered in braille! I wonder if the cab fare is cheaper if one has to help the driver.

MadSnapper said...

YOWSA! i am with you no taxi's over there, but then i don't have to worry since i don't float or fly, and i cant get a taxi or a train to get me over there. to cute, loved it

Anonymous said...

A blind taxi driver would be a thrill a minute. Reminds me of the Kamakazi (former suicide pilots of Japan's imperial air force) taxi drivers in Tokyo in the early 1950s. At the time there were few stop signs, fewer traffic lights and pedestrians had the right of way. So to hire a taxi in Tokyo was to see what a suicide pilot saw. A thrill a minute. Horn blaring and drive like a bat out of hell.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my blogging buddies...

Patty, and Abe Lincoln
Brookville, Ohio

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Ha Ha ha, Joan.... Another funny one!!!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

Insanitykim said...

Oh it's ok...their taxis are pulled by horses, so, there is at least ONE pair of working eyes! ;)

Mellodee said...

There are regulations in Texas law covering acquisition of Hunting licenses for the legally blind! I swear!

Unknown said...

OMG! And I thought city cab drivers stateside were scary!

Pat Tillett said...

Based on the manner in which he drove, I believe I've ridden in the vehicle of a blind cab driver...

SquirrelQueen said...

From some of the stories I have heard about the traffic in London being blind might be an improvement. I think I'll go for the horse drawn carriage too.

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.
Please do not copy any of my photographs (or narratives) without my permission! All pictures will be tracked for copyright violations.

Lijit Search

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About Me

My photo
I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!

Blog Archive

ultimate translation selector

To get more traffic to your blog: