Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Deer in Headlights
We are blessed in Upper Michigan with roads going through beautiful forests. Roads with curves and trees and hills. And.......wildlife. Which means....................................roadkill.
Most of all, we have a lot of deer/car accidents. Because the deer love to eat the tips of trees and any grass that pokes out on the side of the road, they often linger there and when they see a car come, instead of running back in the woods (like a smart Bambi) they either run in front of your car, or they "freeze" in the middle of the road, paralyzed and mesmerized by headlights coming at them. Many get hit and killed because they remain so hypnotized by the car coming, they just stare blankly at it and get run over.So, familiar with how the deer looks when this happens, often people will refer to other humans by saying: "He looked like a deer in headlights".
For you city-slickers, I have decided to list (you KNOW how I love lists!) ten examples of when humans look "like a deer in headlights" so you will know what I mean.
1. Remember when Congress was interviewing the top three American car manufacturer's CEO's and they asked the CEO's who came to the meeting IN SEPARATE COMPANY JETS (to ask for government bail-out money) why they did this? Remember their faces and blank look in their eyes when asked why they did this? THAT is a "deer in the headlights" expression.
2. Remember, when you are asked at the Motor Vehicle Department (when you were filling out your new driver's license): "M'am. How much do you weigh?" Your expression was a "deer in the headlights" expression.
3. Remember when you were sixteen and grounded (for being such a Dick Head, you mouthy adolescent you!) and you snuck out of your room( to go to a kegger) and then got home and puked into a towel and it reeked for beer so you hid it under your bed? Then you got home from school and your mother asked you if you went out and drank last night (and then threw up)? Your expression was a "deer in the headlights" expression.
4. Remember when they interviewed Richard Nixon on CBS and asked him: "Do you know about a thing called Watergate?" His expression was like a "deer in headlights".
5. Remember Bill Clinton when he was on TV and he was being interviewed about the Monica Lewiniski "stained dress", and he turned pale and paused before answering? His expression was like a "deer in headlights". (Right before he said: "I did not have sex with that woman.") Yeah, right....
6. Remember when you had your first crush on a boy and told your best friend and made her SWEAR (SWEAR!!!) that she would not tell a soul for the rest of your life (and her life)? And then, she promptly went to the school cafeteria and told everyone she knew and then the biggest mouth in the class yelled at you across the cafeteria: "Do you LOVE Billy?" and then sang"Joan loves Billy, Joan loves Billy"? Well, if your name was Joan, your expression was like "a deer in headlights".
7. (Warning, all men reading this may want to skip this one): If you are female, remember getting your first period. (Holy Shit!, WTF is THIS?) You looked like "deer in headlights".
8. (Warning again to all men, to skip this one if you want): Remember after you secretly whispered to your mom that you think you got your first period and she announces at dinner to your Dad and older brother (and his HOT best male friend who you have had a crush on for two months): "Isn't it wonderful? Our little baby girl got her first period today". Yep, you (again) looked like "a deer in headlights".
9. If you are a man, you will relate to this one: Remember when your girlfriend/mother/sister/wife was in an emergency to get (ahem) "feminine hygiene products" and YOU had to go buy them for the first time? Remember standing in front of the aisle FULL of them and trying to quickly pick out the right ones? (Wings? No wings? Long? Short? Light Days? Heavy-Duty?)Thinking: WTF? I have NO IDEA... and then a Hot Babe came right up next to you to look at the same shelf and you could have died a thousand deaths for being anywhere NEAR that product aisle? Yep, your face had the "deer in headlights" expression.
10. If you are a man, you will probably also relate to this one: Remember buying your first condoms? And going up to the salesclerk, and they take FOREVER to find the price on them and then stop and have to get a "price check" on them before you could buy them? Yes, your expression "was like a deer in headlights."
So, now you KNOW what a "deer in headlights" looks like. Even if you don't live in Upper Michigan.
- The Retired One
- I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!
- ► 2012 (91)
- ► 2011 (187)
- ► 2010 (230)
- More Florida Pictures
- John's Pass!
- Florida: At Last!!!!
- The Journey: Day FOUR and a Half!!
- The Journey: Day TWO and THREE
- The Journey: Day One
- On the Road Again!
- A BAG-TAG
- No, no...I was wrong. THIS was my most Embarassing...
- Time for Another Dose of Blogger Codes!
- With Gratitude!
- I hate Goodbyes....
- Deer in Headlights
- Double Tagged!
- Second Most Embarassing Moment
- Gung Ho!!
- I Used to Be a Spooner
- Boy, Can I relate!!!
- It's Thursday...Time for the Local Police Reports!...
- Does anyone out there know Janelle?
- Blogger Secret Codes?
- Love those Awards!!!!
- Bottoms Up!!
- ▼ February (23)