LIKE MY BLOG? Click below on "FOLLOW" and add yourself to the list of my followers!

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION
All pictures (and blogposts) are copyrighted and may not be reproduced/used in any manner without my PRIOR approval. Thank you for respecting my hard work.

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Snow Sculptures!!

I have plenty more of the Florida photos
to share with you.

But today, I decided to get back to
some winter photos
that I have taken over the last few months.

I know most of you have trees blooming
and flower gardens in color,
but up north, our spring usually doesn't hit until late April or May.

So I want to share some photos we took
at

 
The fraternities and sororities have full blown competitions
as to who can build the most awesome
snow sculptures.

Bragging rights are fought over valantly.

We went up a day after the judging to grab some photos.
There was an unusual meltdown (warm, sunny temperatures) the day we went, so they
weren't in pristine condition, but you can still see them well.



This was not the winner, but it was my favorite:







This shows part of the winning sculpture from the Chronicles of Narnia:








Although this dinosaur was nothing to sneeze at either:
(Well, I might have sneezed...I mean it WAS winter out there people!!)









Everyone there was climbing into the dinosaur's mouth to get their photo taken.
(I would have but my husband restrained me.) DARN those husbands!!:








Look at those icy teeth!:








But here is the entire fish scene that I adored:





It was full of details too.
For instance, scroll back up and see that clam? It even had a pearl in it!

But I really
fell in love
with
THIS!:






It was still cold out there...
I'm not LION!
(Sorry about that, I just couldn't help myself):








See why it won?
It is huge and took so much work!:







Here is that dinosaur's awesome mouth again!:
(He really isn't barfing something..that is dirty snow in front of him from the meltdown).








I kinda liked this guy too!:
( I think I dated him once).









I loved the ice tail on this beaver too!:









And just LOOK at the detail in those ice flames!:







Even an octopus!:






The imagination from those young people!

This is huge and so well done.

Another one had a tower with a clock on it too!:
If you ever get up to the U.P. of Michigan in February,
make it a point to catch the MTU Winter Carnival, the snow sculptures there are wondrous!

******************************************
I will getting back to more Florida photographs
for the next blogpost,
but will still try to intersperse some winter photos
every other blogpost for a while untl I run out of the winter photos I have taken.
Besides, that is how our Spring is going....
one day like winter, the next day: not-so-much!!

27 comments:

Rae said...

Those are awesome. So much work and so much detail - unbelievable. I like the fish scene the best too.

Brian Miller said...

these are so cool...esp the lion (narnia)one and the dragon...so cool what people can dowith ice/snow...

MadSnapper said...

these are totally, totally awesome! what talent, the detail is mind blowing. very similar to our sculptures in sand at the beach, but this is so much better. i like the ice flames. wow. and the peak at that bright yellow house behind the dinosaur makes me want to see it to

Anonymous said...

WOW!! There was a lot of cold talent at work there! It amazes me how people can do that (or build elaborate sand castles). Thanks for sharing because I doubt I'll ever see it in person!

Unknown said...

Wow! those are totally amazing snow sculptures! the cold hours involved in creating them!

Vicki Holdwick said...

Thanks for the great pix. Wish I'd been there (with lots of layers of heavy, warm clothing, of course)

xoxo

Bossy Betty said...

Incredible! I am amazed by these! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Ruth Hiebert said...

The work that has gone into making these is incredible.There are some very talented and persistent people around.I love the sculptures,now can we get them to melt? You see that would mean it was spring.LOL

Hilary said...

I love ice sculptures and these are a lot of fun.. as are your descriptions. I love that little starfish and that beaver just has to be Canadian, eh? ;) The underwater scene is terrific but that lion had to be the mane event. ;)

Stella Jones said...

I love them all, especially the tail on the beaver!

Nat said...

These are brrrrilliant!

Far Side of Fifty said...

beautiful..I just loved the starfish..what a fun outing:)

Lorac said...

These were wonderful I am glad you showed them. Very talented artists at work there. Good for them!

ruma said...

I thank for your warm heart and thoughts...

From Japan, ruma

Tracy said...

Joan, Those are absolutely spectacular!!! I am with you as my favorite is the fish...I love the star; it just looks so delicate and fragile!
Thank you so much for sharing such beauty and hard work!

Jeanette said...

Those are amazing!!

Anonymous said...

What amazing snow sculptures! So creative and beautiful.

SquirrelQueen said...

Oh wow, those are some talented folks. The dinosaur is so cool (pun intended). You should have taken your hubby's photo inside the mouth. :)

Ryan said...

I'm so jealous these are amazing, after spending a freezing 30 minutes "trying" to build a snowman for the kids, as soon as I pushed in the carrot for his nose it collapsed in a heap. I don't think I'll be entering any competitions anytime soon.

Anonymous said...

Amazing photos - I love the little star as well!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Beautiful ice sculptures, Joan... I have never seen ice sculptures (except in punch bowls--ha)--but I have seen marvelous sand sculptures. Both are tremendous. Such talent!!!!!! (Loved your joke about LION)...

Hugs,
Betsy

Debbie Lo said...

The amount of talent some people have is just incredible. I can see why Narnia won...it's my fav of all the sculptures too. :-)

Sueann said...

And I say "Wow" too! Amazing and the work...OMG!!
Great photos too!!
Congrats on your POTW award
Hugs
SueAnn

Out on the prairie said...

Amazing sculpture

larkswing said...

What talent and what great pictures you took! I think I might had a trip to the carnival to a list of future "I wanna go..." spots :)

Glen Darby said...

The photos came out so very well that I felt like seeing them for real. That star did a great job with making it cute and attractive as well as that fish with octopus design. Very very well done snow sculpture.

Glen @ ICe Castle said...

Happy New Year to All and a Prosperous year 2012 ahead...

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.
Please do not copy any of my photographs (or narratives) without my permission! All pictures will be tracked for copyright violations.

Lijit Search

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About Me

My photo
I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!

Blog Archive

ultimate translation selector

To get more traffic to your blog: