LIKE MY BLOG? Click below on "FOLLOW" and add yourself to the list of my followers!

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION
All pictures (and blogposts) are copyrighted and may not be reproduced/used in any manner without my PRIOR approval. Thank you for respecting my hard work.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Dog Sled Races: Part TWO ! (Otherwise known as Dog Sled Races Haute Coutures)

If you missed the beginning of this series on the
U.P. 200 Dog Sled Races in Marquette, Michigan, drop below this blogpost
to the blogpost below this one, and start at Part One (if you are so inclined).
************

Part of the reason I love to attend the U.P. 200 is to "people watch".
Many of the bystanders dress in some pretty neat fur hoods and hats
and the atmosphere is fun and happy.
People full of hardiness for the winter in which we live.

And the dogs' excitement is contagious.
You can HEAR the dogs before you see them as you approach the raceway
because they yelp and yelp and bark as if to say:
"Let's get going already!"

This year, the temperatures were very cold and the wind chill was bitter outside.

I wore longjohns, heavy pants, 3 layers of sweaters, two pairs of gloves, a heavy hat and my heavy, hooded
winter coat.  And after a while, even I got numb standing out there waiting for the start of the race.

I just had to share with you some of the outfits I saw!:


I loved, loved this fur hood!:









And look at this youngster's hat.
OMG, is that a RACOON?
(Don't tell that little racoon that we saved last year from the trap that I know people
that wear them as HATS, they'd never forgive me!):








I bet this hat was warm. Just look how happy he is!:








Then, there was THIS crazy lady, bundled up so much you almost couldn't recognize her!:

Oh.
Wait.

That was ME.

(That is FAKE fur, people!! FAKE!!)
No animals were harmed for my warmth.


This guy just cracked me up.
He had fake dreadlocks to wear as a HAT!!!
Yah, mon...No problem!!:








I was realllly hoping this wasn't their HAIR:
Otherwise, we are gonna have to find a cosmetology shop for them right away!
(See?? I TOLD you the cold winters up here dry out your hair!)




Enough of the fashion show...
on
to the RACE!!

These pretty dogs are getting ready for the run:







And he is getting his sled ready:




Help me Rhonda!
Help, help me Rhonda...
Help me get him out of my heart:




We can't have a race without a MASCOT
now CAN we?:




This was the starting line, and the Officials just called for everybody to
LINE UP the dog sled teams!!!!:
(I just LOVED the people sitting on the hay on the "front row" seats to the excitement).

On my next blog post, I will show the teams lining up and taking off!!

(And for those of you that want to get back to the beach and sun of my Florida pictures
and the Savannah pictures, don't worry, they are still coming too!)

********************************************
You are getting dangerously close to the DEADLINE
for
March's FREE PHOTO CONTEST.

Send me your entry no later than midnight on March 31st, 2011
The theme this month is:

RED

Just make sure you follow
THESE RULES!!

17 comments:

A New England Life said...

It looks like it's freezing cold! So glad you are wearing the fake fur Joan, though it doesn't appear as though most others are, which is unfortunate.

Where is the warmth????

Brian Miller said...

the dogs steal the show for me but i totally could have used one of those hats yesterday...and i so want dreds...T is not going for it...smiles.

Ruth Hiebert said...

People watching is more entertaining than watching TV.Those are some unique hats.

MadSnapper said...

wow oh wow and then another wow. love this post. i feel like i was there with you. people watching is one of my most favorite things to do, in restaurants my hubby knows to leave the seat FACING the room for me, no staring at walls, have to watch the people. of course i loved the dog photos, but the fur hats are prize winners. i remember the rescue of the raccoon, it made me cry when i looked at it.
I have a question. how can you be so young and be retired. that is a super shot of you in your FAKE fur.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Looks like fun! I like the dogs with the blue eyes..beautiful! :)

Hilary said...

You sure know how to capture the excitement of the event and the race hasn't even started yet. I prefer my raccoons alive and kicking. ;)

Jeanette said...

I LOVE to people watch! Especially when it's sunny and I can wear my sunglasses and no one can see me staring!! Love the dreadlock hat, too!

Grandmother Mary said...

I want to see the dogs racing. Any You Tube coverage? It was 60 degrees here today and that's okay with me.

Mellodee said...

Just makes me shiver. There isn't enough fur in the world (real and fake)to keep me warm in weather like that. When are we going back to FLORIDA?????

Anonymous said...

YOU were the cutest picture on here!!

Tracy said...

Joan, I love the fashion as well as the dogs...what gorgeous creatures they are...the blue eyes are to die for; oh my!
It looks like so much fun, yes, COLD but fun! I love the photo of you in your fancy, schmancy hood :)

Unknown said...

Those are such great photos! And you looked like you just might have been toasty! Love the hats!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Impressive winter wear. The dogs don't look that warm though.

Alan Burnett said...

A wonderful series of photographs which almost made me feel as if I was there. And I got to enjoy the sights of it without having to feel the cold.

Unknown said...

Your people watching skills are great!

L. D. said...

I really enjoy this report of the dog sled races. It is probably as close as to I will ever be to them. You are a great roving reporter.

SquirrelQueen said...

Actually the dreadlock hat is not a bad idea, it would keep your neck warm. All the fur hats (you can get those in fake fur) remind me of AK. You would see lots of fur hats and boots but if it was a guy he probably trapped the critter himself. I try not to think about it too much.

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.
Please do not copy any of my photographs (or narratives) without my permission! All pictures will be tracked for copyright violations.

Lijit Search

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About Me

My photo
I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!

Blog Archive

ultimate translation selector

To get more traffic to your blog: