LIKE MY BLOG? Click below on "FOLLOW" and add yourself to the list of my followers!
Sunday, May 23, 2010
April 2010 Florida Trip Photos: Part TWO, (otherwise known as Meet Harry, Herbie and Howie):
As promised, here are more pictures of our Florida trip.
But these are going to be
we had this cute little "60's" style hotel
that was on a causeway
across the street
the ocean and beach.
The hotel was clean, really economical and had a little kitchenette in it.
We were so grateful to have found it, because we ended up staying
in Florida longer than expected.
It had the tiniest pool we had ever seen, right next to the docks on the causeway.
But for me,
it was perfect.
All I needed was to get wet and suntan...
if I wanted to swim, we just crossed the street to the ocean.
But the causeway?
It was amazing.
We saw dolphins swim right next to us!!
we saw a MANATEE!
(Dang, they were too quick for me to get a photo of them, though).
But what I am getting to, is that the fisherman on the causeway have practically trained
the tropical birds there to stop by frequently
to look for fish.
Every day, we had tropical birds that landed by this tiny pool
to get a drink of fresh (albeit chlorinated!) water.
Three birds in particular.
Which, forever more...
will be named HARRY, HERBIE and HOWIE.
I would like to introduce them to you:
Don't tell Herbie and Howie, but Harry
the Great Heron
was my FAVORITE!
Here is a shot of Harry (the Great Heron) and Herbie (the large Ibis) just hangin' out at the pool with us!:
(Don't you LOVE Harry's one long black feather that is on the top of his head?)
up in the U.P.
it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to get this close to a Great Heron
or a blue heron of any kind.
They are wild birds and I am thrilled whenever I can ATTEMPT
to get a shot of either type of heron.
So you can IMAGINE
how thrilled I was to get this close to a Great Heron.
Meet Howie, the smaller Ibis. Howie was VERY tame (more about this later):
This is Herbie, eating some fish the kind fisherman gave us to feed them:
Harry had quite a personality.
Often, when I was laying out getting a tan..
he came and mocked me....
by coming beside me and spreading his wings for some sun.....
Do you SEE what I mean?:
(A real wiseguy....that Harry!)
But, I forgave him...because just LOOK how pretty he was!:
(I SO wanted to take that ONE head feather!)
Look at his face!:
He was forever primping. Cleaning his wing feathers.
Look at his wingspan!!!!:
(I was singing: "You're so vain!"...he didn't appreciate my humor)
I have many more pictures of Harry, Herbie and Howie to show you next time.
So that I won't be accused of being partial to Harry
(which I admit, I was)
here is one last shot of
Herbie, the Ibis:
fluffy, white tush...
those soft white feathers
that looked like a horse's mane...
Next time, I will tell you about how tame Howie (the small Ibis) was.
How's that about a cliffhanger?
REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.
- The Retired One
- I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!
- ► 2012 (91)
- ► 2011 (187)
- It's DEADLINE day, People!!!!...You only have hour...
- April 2010 Florida Photos: Part THREE (More of Harry)
- Ok, call me FICKLE.........
- Yuck, Ick and Peeee-you!!!
- Springtime at home in the U.P.: A series of signs:...
- April 2010 Florida Trip Photos: Part TWO, (otherwi...
- Giddiup!!!...(or otherwise known as Have you ever ...
- Oh Gosh...we finally have a WINNER!!! (and it wasn...
- Springtime at home in the U.P.! : A Series of Sign...
- April 2010 Florida Trip Photos: Part ONE
- The PERFECT homecoming gift.....
- Finally!.....Here They Are!! April's Photo Contest...
- Mystery Ducks....Common Mergansers?
- Our Newest Miracle.....
- Hooded Mergansers!
- More Local Police Reports: A Double Treat!
- Flickers and Duckers!
- More Useless Tidbits!
- A Note about the April Photo Contest....
- ▼ May (20)
- ► 2009 (298)