LIKE MY BLOG? Click below on "FOLLOW" and add yourself to the list of my followers!

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION
All pictures (and blogposts) are copyrighted and may not be reproduced/used in any manner without my PRIOR approval. Thank you for respecting my hard work.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Ice and Snow Formations!

This time of year in the Upper Peninsula (U.P.)
of Michigan, most of the rivers are usually frozen over.


It is always nice to find open water, especially with ice and snow formations in the rivers and lakes.


Yesterday, I posted some of the ice formations on Bond Falls, and I have included some of them again today, as well.


But first, here are some shots of a river with some great snow and ice "canyons" on them:


Notice the animal tracks on the lower left of this shot. We weren't the only ones that had come to see this pretty view!:




This looks like you are looking down on a huge ice glacier canyon, but I just used my zoom to get closer to the river snow and ice formations:





This is another shot of an ice shelf, similar to the one I showed you yesterday.
I just fell in love with it:





And here is one I showed you yesterday, only this time I opted for a black and white shot...ice can be very dramatic in black and white!:





Gorgeous, sparkly, crystal clear ice!:





A closeup of the ice stalagmites from yesterday's shots of Bond Falls:





A black and white theatrical display of waterfall ice!:




Similar shot in color:




Frozen ice froth:




Now you tell ME.

Isn't this a frozen
Harry Potter Wizard Hat???:



I just can't help myself.
I had to take MORE shots of those lovely
ice stalagmites!:

I am so glad to have been able to get out in our winter wonderland
on such a gorgeous day
to
be able to capture these shots for you.
And I hope you have the opportunity to get out and enjoy the true beauty of winter
wherever you live too!!!

* Please don't forget to enter the January 2010 PHOTO CONTEST by Jan. 31st, midnight EST.....you still have time to find "Something Rusty" to enter. See the RULES here...no cost to enter!

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, MAYBE I miss winter a little bit; these are wonderful!! I did like the Harry Potter cap; only you could come up with that. Sure it wasn't a thinking cap?

rainfield61 said...

You seem to get a lot of fun from this winter wonderland.

And same to your camera.

Such a good job form both of you.

Wanda..... said...

So much beauty to look at!
Those ice stalagmites look like candles, one actually has a flame!

Joy Tilton said...

These are National Geographic Good! Mother Nature does a great job too, great post!

DJan said...

I just LOVE the stalagmites! They are amazing, and ice does fill me with wonder.

Unknown said...

All I can say is, "Wow!"

Unknown said...

Love the lacy look of the ice shelf and yes, that's definitely a wizard hat!

Unknown said...

I love ice formations! Looks like you had a nice sunny day for them as well. Beautiful!

CiCi said...

The ice picture you showed yesterday that today is black and white looks different in black and white, the shadows make it look more like jewelry. The icicles are huge.

Joanie said...

I just love the waterfall shot and that definitely IS the Sorting Hat from Harry Potter!

Brian Miller said...

these are simply amazing...i really like the contours of the snow and ice in teh first shot...and your close ups...wow.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Beautiful photos, Joan. You had a perfect vantage point from which to get those pictures. They are all great... I love the icicles --which look like candles!!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

wendyytb said...

Wow! What wonderful photos! You sure have a knack for this sort of thing!

L. D. said...

They are gorgeous shots. The formations of ice are amazing. I like the view from the bridge. Thanks for sharing.

Jientje said...

We don't get this kind of Winter where I am! Oh boy, this is BEAUTIFUL!!!

The Retired One said...

Cathy: you crack me up..you are like me...you enjoy nature's beauty where ever you are...winter or no winter.

Rainfield: Thanks! Me and my camera both thank you.

Wanda: you are right..I see the candle with the flame!

Joycee: Gee, would you write to National Geographic and tell them to go to my blog and give me a job? ha

DJan: Me, too.. I used to groan and moan about winter here, but since I found photography I see so much beauty regarding what winter gives us!

Eva: and all I can say is thanks!

Gaston: Me too...when I went to name it on my computer, I called it a lace shelf.

Ashley: Thanks so much.

Technobabe: I so agree...it has been fun playing with pictures in sepia and black and white to see how different they look... Twice the beauty from one shot. ha

Joanie: I was so surprised to see the little hat when I downloaded the picture...because I definitely did not notice it in person.

Brian: Thanks so much, Brian..my favorites are the ice formation closeups too.

Betsy: I see the candles too...I didn't when I was there in person..that is what is so fun when you download the photos later at home...you discover new beauty all over again.

Wendytb: Ah, shucks...that was sweet of you to say.

L.D.:Thanks so much...the ice formations are my favorite of the bunch for me too.

Jientje: Thanks so much...it really is pretty here, but also very cold in the winter. :-}

Roshni said...

the black and white shots are truly gorgeous!

Here I am sweating in SoCal and then I see all these amazing photos!

J.J. in L.A. said...

Beautiful!!! LOVE the b&w shots!

Anonymous said...

Your photos are so awesome. I can't stop staring at them. Coming over here to check out what you have been taking pictures of is always a treat for me.

Bernie said...

Just when I was getting tired of winter you have made me see more beauty which I can enjoy....thank you my friend, both you and your photos are awesome....:-) Hugs

Sara said...

I love the black and white shot of the waterfall, so gorgeous!

SquirrelQueen said...

Wow, again. The combination of water and cold temps can create some amazing formations. Great shots Joan, I love the waterfall ice. It makes a very dramatic photo.
Judy

Loree said...

Love your photos. The B&W ones are very striking.

Rick (Ratty) said...

These are just great! I wish I had some rushing water near here now, so I could see things like this.

The Retired One said...

Roshni: Thanks! We are getting really cold weather this week, supposed to be -11F degrees tonight...brrrrrr.

JJ: Thanks, honey...I was surprised how much I loved them too.

SouthernLady: Gee, thanks! I feel that way when I read a lot of blogs or see others' pictures, too.

Bernie: Thank you so much! How is your weather up there? We are supposed to get -11F degrees tonight, but at least today we have single digits and sun.

Sara: I loved seeing how they would look in black and white and was thrilled when I saw the results.

Squirrelqueen: I am planning on snowshoeing into some more falls once the Dr. lets me lose this silly boot cast. ha

Loree: So glad you liked them...I need to get outside and get some more soon, but it is reallllly cooooolddddd here right now. ha

Ratty: I was so pleasantly surprised to find open water up here, much less falls that weren't frozen...however, I can't WAIT to snowshoe into some frozen falls for some shots as soon as my foot heals!

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.
Please do not copy any of my photographs (or narratives) without my permission! All pictures will be tracked for copyright violations.

Lijit Search

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About Me

My photo
I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!

Blog Archive

ultimate translation selector

To get more traffic to your blog: