LIKE MY BLOG? Click below on "FOLLOW" and add yourself to the list of my followers!

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION
All pictures (and blogposts) are copyrighted and may not be reproduced/used in any manner without my PRIOR approval. Thank you for respecting my hard work.

Friday, April 22, 2011

Spring Hoarfrost!

At the end of our winter...and just the hint of Spring coming,
we had a very hard frost.

I woke up to my delightful hoarfrost
and rushed out to get photos of it.
It never fails to amaze me with all the spikey
ice crystals clinging on to grasses and trees.



Even dead weeds become gorgeous with the hoarfrost clinging to it:















At the edge of a road was a frozen mud puddle with grass frozen.
Little blades of grass sticking up from the frozen ground had these spikes of hoarfrost:






You can see the ice of the frozen puddle UNDER the blades of grass sticking up, full of hoarfrost
on this shot. The other grass is frozen UNDER the ones sticking up:





Like snowflakes, no two crystals are supposed to be alike:






























Love, love the hoarfrost "caps" on these weeds!"






Who knew that nature would provide an ice show on simple weeds?:














I loved the extended spikes on this blade of grass on the iced pond:


















I knew you were getting too spoiled by all the wonderful Spring weather...
so I decided I better remind you of colder days....
Even cold days can bring beauty.
You just have to look.
****************************************************************************
Getting closer to that midnight, April 30th, 2011 deadline for the
FREE MONTHLY PHOTO CONTEST!!
Don't forget to enter this month...the theme is:

REFLECTIONS!!
E-mail me your picture..
you don't have to be a blogger to enter...
Just follow THESE RULES!!

32 comments:

faye said...

Lovely shots .. 90° here, so I appreciate the
frost .

Brian Miller said...

their structures are so cool...little castles lines along the hill of the stem...

Sandi McBride said...

It takes as special photographic genius to get shots like this. Bravo!
Sandi

Ginnymo said...

Nature is amazing. Something beautiful comes out of something we don't like to see when it's Spring. We had snow and sleet yesterday. It was so windy and cold. And it was 28 degrees this morning. Can't wait for the warmer weather to come next week. It's supposed to be up to 70!!
Happy Easter!!

MadSnapper said...

these are extraordinary! I do so love this kind of photo, these are what I love to do. finding the beauty in God's creation, small bit by bit. you done GOOD! LOVE them all

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful shots!!! I wanted to get out yesterday and take some shots, but it didn't work out so I'm glad you did! (and the way my internet is right now I don't know as I could patiently wait to upload photos!)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Beautiful, Joan.... I always love close-ups of hoarfrost...

Rainy here this morning --but nothing severe (thank God).

Happy Easter.

Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy

Grandmother Mary said...

Frost flowers- amazing!

Unknown said...

Your photos are magical today!

Country Gal said...

Sucks that you had frost like that but what beautiful photos you got. Have a wonderful Easter.

Emma Springfield said...

My children think I'm crazy but I love hoar frost. It makes the whole world look like it was dipped in powdered sugar.

Loree said...

So very pretty. You managed to get some spectacular shots.

Dawn Fine said...

Gorgeous photos!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Wow! These are all so gorgeous.Your photography skills are very evident.

Red said...

Awesome photos! It takes a good eye to come up with photos like these.
Thanks.

J.J. in L.A. said...

I love the pink-tinted pics. Don't know if that was on purpose but it's gorgeous!

Lisa said...

Beathtaking. So very very beautiful

Dave said...

Wonderful ice crystal shots! - Dave

Pat said...

So beautiful! I love the close up shots of the crystals!

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Truly beautiful. The name Hoarfrost doesn't sound so nice. But just goes to show you...

JDS said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Those are absolutely fantastic pictures. I have always loved the little intricate beauty of frost crystals -- perhaps because we get so little of it in Florida!

SquirrelQueen said...

Isn't it amazing how even drab browns are transformed into works of art by the little ice crystals? I love your macro shots, gorgeous!

Pat Tillett said...

Nature is amazing! So are your photos!

Debbie Lo said...

Incredible and beautiful photos! I don't think I've ever seen frost photographed up close like this before. Who knew they crystals were so spiked and that each one was a different shape? I learned something new today! Thanks, Joan!

Linda Reeder said...

I'm catching up on blog reading this morning. Your frozen falls are so cold looking, and it's still too cold here to want to see all of that ice, but your frost pics - WOW! Just amazing!

Dan said...

Congratulations on being selected for POTW. How I love the intricate details of macro photography. Well done!!!

Anonymous said...

the frost on top of the dried blooms creates a whole new flower ~ beautiful shots!

congrats on potw

off to enter you monthly photo contest :)

Out on the prairie said...

marvelous finds in the simplest places. It is fun to see the direction the ice forms

Cricket said...

Lovely photographs. Those crystals are amazing, though, I will say, even though I don't hate winter, better you than me. I'm glad to have blossoms and open windows lately.

Congratulations on your potw.

Anonymous said...

Oh, there really is nothing as magical and gorgeous as hoar frost! These photos are fabulous!

Far Side of Fifty said...

beautiful photos of the hoarfrost..although I wish it was warmer:)

MaggieGem said...

Wonderful photo and narrative! What an enjoyable journey you've shared, bravo!

Congrats on POTW!

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.
Please do not copy any of my photographs (or narratives) without my permission! All pictures will be tracked for copyright violations.

Lijit Search

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About Me

My photo
I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!

Blog Archive

ultimate translation selector

To get more traffic to your blog: