LIKE MY BLOG? Click below on "FOLLOW" and add yourself to the list of my followers!
Monday, February 28, 2011
Winter on Lake Superior: Part ONE
Before we left for Florida on Jan. 14th,
I took a trip to Marquette, Michigan,
which is about 30 miles from where I live.
It is where I graduated from high school and college.
I love the town and always will.
I try and get out to the shores of Lake Superior, on the edge of town
to take some photos.
So, today, I have some for you and since I took so many photos,
I will do two blogposts of them for you.
Here is Set ONE:
We had some very cold temperatures
along with wind,
which makes the waves fly up against the breakwater and freeze:
the waves push up big ice chunks
against the shore:
This one was taken at dusk
of the Coast Guard station.
I loved the dark ominous sky:
I have taken photos of this log cabin on the shore before on this blog
during summer and fall.
But the drama comes in the winter, when the ice is on the cliffs beside it:
My fingers felt about as icy
ice clump along the shore while taking these photos!
But it was so neat, I had to take a photo of it! (Nature doesn't wait for wimps):
More ice along the shore:
There is this spot called "Pictured Rocks" in town.
It is 3 islands right off shore and there is a little park there.
There are signs in the summer warning people NOT to try and swim to them
because there are riptides.
We have had many deaths because college kids don't listen and try to do it anyway and have drowned.
This is one of the islands in winter's grip:
They are gorgeous islands, even in the winter.
Stay tuned, more photos in this Set
coming soon on the blog!
THIS IS THE LAST day to send in your photo
into this month's FREE PHOTO CONTEST!!
This month's theme
Get your photo in my midnight, TONIGHT
You don't have to be a Blogger to enter.
REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.
- The Retired One
- I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!
- ► 2012 (91)
- Winter on Lake Superior: Part ONE
- Cold Gorgeous Upper Peninsula Winters!
- A trip in the BOONIES....in the middle of winter.....
- Finally!! We have a WINNER for the January's FREE ...
- Winter storm and birds!
- Bond Falls: The Finale!
- Bond Falls: Part Six
- Bond Falls: Part FIVE
- Bond Falls-Part FOUR
- Bond Falls-Part THREE
- REPOSTED: Here They Are!! January's FREE PHOTO CON...
- All votes are IN!! Here is your 2010 Winning photo...
- Bond Falls-Part TWO
- Bond Falls!-Part ONE
- Hoarfrost: Part THREE
- ▼ February (15)
- ► 2010 (230)
- ► 2009 (298)