LIKE MY BLOG? Click below on "FOLLOW" and add yourself to the list of my followers!

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION
All pictures (and blogposts) are copyrighted and may not be reproduced/used in any manner without my PRIOR approval. Thank you for respecting my hard work.

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Useless Facts and Trivia: Volume 12

Yes! It's time again for some Useless Facts and Trivia, along with MY COMMENTS in bold italics. Enjoy!














1. Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.
Oh, God. Please don't tell me they shaved one to find this out. Because a naked tiger would just be ugly.



2. In most advertisements, the time displayed on a watch is 10:10. Now I have been checking watch ads. This is true over 50% of the time. Now I KNOW you will be checking all the ads you see....you just won't be able to help yourself.






3. Al Capone's business card said he was a used furniture dealer.
I think I have met a few furniture dealers that could pass for Al Capone. At least in the fact that they rip you off!





4. The characters Bert and Ernie on Sesame Street were named after Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver in Frank Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life."


Awww..that is just plain cute. Wonder who the Cookie Monster is named after then?






5. A mayfly has a life span of 24 hours. I wonder how they check this? Do they put little bands on their wings when they hatch and then when they croak a timer goes off? Poor things...only 24 hours to live. Now THAT makes you think more on how you spent your day TODAY, doesn't it?







6. A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds. Very similar to husbands and children.









7. A dime has 118 ridges around the edge. I know you are going to take one out and count them, now aren't you? AREN'T you? Gheesh, the people that write these things need to find a life. You thought YOUR job was hard. How would you like to be an edge of coin ridge counter?







8. It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open. How could you look in the mirror to check? I mean, even if your eyes WERE open, they would be all watery and get all gooey with the sneeze. Yuck. It also begs the question....if you sneeze and are driving, then you are closing your eyes then, right?





9. The giant squid has the largest eyes in the world. Again, how do they know this? Have they measured every elephant's eyes? Or all of the eyes of all of the creatures on earth???? I mean, look at this squid's picture. Maybe it isn't a giant squid...but I can't even SEE his eyes, can you? (Well, maybe he is sneezing and they are closed?)








10. The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket. That researcher also invented microwave popcorn. Yikes. If I remember right, a man's pants pockets are awful close to the family jewels. So what did the microwaves do to THOSE? I hope they didn't pop like popcorn.




That's all for this installment of Useless Facts and Trivia. I like to keep you informed. Just in case it gets boring at work around the water cooler......

26 comments:

Insanitykim said...

HAHAHHA good stuff Joan! So happy there are people out there, answering the burning questions my children have, so I don't have to bang my head against a wall anymore!

grannyann said...

Now that was a bunch of informational facts. By the way that's what I used to do, count ridges........just kidding.

The Retired One said...

Insanity: yes, count on me to be their useless facts tutor.

Grannyann: Well, a ridge counter with experience is probably hard to find. Job security all right! :-}

rainfield61 said...

"A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds. Very similar to husbands and children"
I think that of husband lasts for 3.5 seconds.

DJan said...

Joan: you are sick. Do you spend all night long coming up with these responses and then spring them on us the next day? If so, what do you do for FUN? Think of ways to make us, well, Wonder About YOU? :-) Thanks for making me smile... again.

Bernie said...

Great post Joan, I often wonder who and how they get these stats. A squid with the largest eyes...who'd of thought, oh yeah he was sneezing, love these facts and lover your comments even more. Thanks for the chuckle.
Have a great day....:-) Hugs

SquirrelQueen said...

Where do you find these wonderful, although totally useless, bits of information.

Will we all be trying to sneeze with our eyes open? A great laugh, I love your responses and can't wait for the next batch.

Judy

Brian Miller said...

just this week i got my memory up to 4.5 seconds...it was a good day. has anyone seen my naked tiger around?

Joanie said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one with useless trivia stuck in my head. But yours are more fun!

~Cheryl said...

Very good! Some cause you to say "Hmmmm" and others, "HUH?" I love your responses!

Jientje said...

Your comment on the goldfish cracked me up! So true! Thanks for the early morning chuckle!

Alan Burnett said...

Fascinating facts - I will steal a few of these the next time I have to put the pub quiz together

Anonymous said...

Good stuff! You are always thinking!!

Sandi McBride said...

Good ones here...hold on, I've got a dime here...let's just see how accurate your data is!
Sandi

Aria said...

First of all, the tiger was rebelling in his teen years and got a mohawk. Secondly, Mr. Microwave research dude did have after effects to the family jewels... he was Bert and Ernie's dad, and look how they turned out.... try not to think of that when you're eating your microwaved popcorn... ;-)

ps. Still sober, just crazy, since you asked lol

Loree said...

Me Me Me ... the cookie monster was named after me. Haha :) I wonder what a naked tiger would look like. I can't imagine. Cats look ugly enough when you wash them. Ours used to look like a giant rat.

The Retired One said...

Rainfield: you beat the average. ha

DJan: I love being sick like that. ha

Bernie: Let me...entertain you. ha Glad you liked them, I still have more to come.:-}

SquirrelQueen: I am so glad people aren't getting sick of these yet...I think some of them are so goofy. Sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction.

Brian: Now, that I believe! (You shaving the tiger). Plus, you will probably write a beautiful piece of prose about it. ha I know your attention span is longer than 3 secnods, otherwise there is no way you could write such beautiful stuff.

Joanie: they never stick in my head...as soon as I read them, I steal them for my blog and forget them again.ha

Cheryl: You are fairly new to the blog, right? I hope you added on as a Follower??? I love it when people add on to the blog. Makes me happy and say Huhhh? ha

Jientje: Glad I could give you a morning chuckle...we all need a LOT of those, right?

Alan: Feel free to use any of them...I do them about once a month on the blog or more.

Cathy: Yeah, like the goldfish...for about 3 seconds. ha

Sandi: Go for it. Did you get done counting yet? Is it correct? :-}

Aria: Good Lord, that is probably what happened. Maybe BIG BIRD is what happened. ha

Loree: That is the truth. Wet cats look sooo pitiful. Then we sit and laugh at them as they are shivering, looking all vulnerable.
Yeah, I'm like that. ha

Judy said...

I love #6. How true it is! Thanks for the laughs. I love your comments on these things. Have a good weekend.

Shelley said...

It stinks to be a mayfly! And now I'm curious to see what a tiger looks like without its fur! LOL!!

The Retired One said...

Judy: you are welcome! I love these silly trivia facts too and have a list of them to share yet. So stay tuned!

Shelley: Yes. Sad isn't it? I know Luna moths only live 24 hours too and they never eat or drink, just mate during that time. A luna moth has no mouth. Yeah, I am a dictionary of trivia.........ha

Wendy said...

I LIKE #10! This is just too funny! Thanks for making my day!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Lot's of interesting facts on here, I especially like the Ernie and Bert one. I always wondered about those two :)

Rick (Ratty) said...

My mom used to work for a furniture dealer who the FBI mistook for a mob boss. At least we think it was a mistake. Supposedly there were two guys with the same name. She found all of this out when, years after she had changed jobs, they made her go in so they could ask her a bunch of questions about him. I've known some pretty bad people, and this guy just didn't seem like any mob person.

The Retired One said...

Wendy: You are welcome...there will be more trivia coming...so keep reading.

Catherine: I love all the Sesame Street characters...but now I wonder who all the other characters are made from? Especially Cookie Monster and Big Bird.

Ratty: Maybe the mob kept Al Capone's furniture businesses through the years and she DID work for a mobster. Too funny!

Sass said...

Love the facts! I'll now be referring to my husband as my little goldfish...and I'll have YOU to thank for it. ;)

The Retired One said...

Sass: Oh, you are funny! I can just see you saying: "C'mon little goldfish!" and him rolling his eyes at you. :-}

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.
Please do not copy any of my photographs (or narratives) without my permission! All pictures will be tracked for copyright violations.

Lijit Search

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About Me

My photo
I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!

Blog Archive

ultimate translation selector

To get more traffic to your blog: