LIKE MY BLOG? Click below on "FOLLOW" and add yourself to the list of my followers!

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION
All pictures (and blogposts) are copyrighted and may not be reproduced/used in any manner without my PRIOR approval. Thank you for respecting my hard work.

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Cliffhanger Explained...Part 1

Sorry that I haven't been posting daily this week.
For the next two or three weeks, we are going to be doing some traveling and then we are expecting company, so I can't spend as much time at the computer as usual.
So, the last time we chatted, I left a cliffhanger, now didn't I?
And then, I made you WAIT.
That wasn't very nice. I know.
But hopefully, you will be as excited as I was with what came next at Arflin Lake.
Remember the beautiful Merganser duck that surprised us by being there? (If not, go back 2 posts!!).
Well after we got all excited and I got all those photos, we continued chatting with the nice couple we had just met on the lakeshore. We were joking that at least we didn't get "skunked" and go home without any pictures of wildlife. And I mentioned how grateful I was to see the Merganser, and how it was well worth the wait and drive out to the lake that day.
I was telling the couple how I love blue herons, eagles, loons, moose, egrets, and that there were several types of animals and birds on my "wish" list yet to photograph.
And then I look out to the lake.
And I see...................................................................THIS!:

My FIRST loon opportunity!

I was so excited, I could hardly find him in my lens on the lake to shoot the picture.

Loons are usually VERY shy.

I was SURE I wasn't going to capture him.

And I look closer.

There are TWO there!:

They seemed oblivious to the four of us on shore.

They just swam around and around and fished.

There was a boat across the lake pulling someone on a tow rope and a tube.

They seemed more concerned about watching them.

This one began flapping his wings at the sound of the boat across the lake:




They swam over to our side of the lake, much to my delight!

Here they are right next to a dock to the right of the boat landing where we were standing:


Aren't they BEAUTIFUL?????




Taking a lazy swim in the water:



Dipping in for a fish snack:







What? You didn't bring me any fish?:







Even my backside is pretty. See?:





My side profile is pretty awesome, too:




The boat across the lake turned and made a circle
closer to them.
Not real close....
but enough
to
make
this
one
do THIS!:



Wow, his markings were SPECTACULAR~!!

As soon as the boat got further away,
he relaxed and went
back to fishing.
I got many more photos of them.
Stay tuned for Part 2 and Part 3
of
my loon photographs.
Coming to your local blog shortly!!!...........
(Now wasn't the cliffhanger WORTH it?)
I know it was for ME!!!!

28 comments:

Jientje said...

It was well worth it!!! Lovely series!! I don't think I've ever seen one before?

Jenn Jilks said...

Aren't they amazing? Our are pretty bold.

I did a video of ducks, when we were interrupted by a loon having a noisy bath!

Lynn Kellan said...

Loon-tastic!

blushing rose said...

You make me feel as if I am standing right beside you watching as you take the pictures, they are so 'real'. TY for sharing. They are wonderful. TTFN~ Marydon

Unknown said...

beautiful!

Elcmae said...

Absolutely fabulous photos. Thanks for sharing them with us.

♥ Boomer ♥ said...

Fabulous!!!♥♥♥

Wanda..... said...

That last photo was just beautiful...you were so lucky Joan...you captured it well...With the first photos I was thinking...Loons are so perfect looking...almost unreal!

BPOTW said...

Those are just lovely photos! How exciting for you! Thanks for sharing.

J.J. in L.A. said...

Great pics! Especially that last one...

Brian Miller said...

if i knew you were looking for loons i could have shown you...i work with a few...oh wait, nevermind...lol...nice shots! posing and everything...that last shot is pretty amazing...

grannyann said...

Your Loons are beautiful. I have never seen one in real life and I understand they make a neat sound.

DJan said...

I had no idea loons are such beautiful creatures. Their markings are indeed spectacular. How wonderful, and thank you so much! I don't mind if you don't post daily, since I was in the mountains all day and have ten blogs to read!!!

The Retired One said...

Jientje: Thanks! I have only seen one or two in person, either, so you can imagine how excited I was to capture them with my camera this time!

Jenn: I will have to look at your video. I love their lonesome wail.

Lynn: It sure was!

Blushing: Thanks so much. I was pretty excited, as you can tell!

Eva: They sure are!

Elcmae: You are new to my blog, right? Welcome aboard! Hopy you joined on as a Follower!!! That is fantastic.

Boomer: Thanks. I loved them.

Wanda: Thanks so much. They are pretty much perfect..right down to the fantastic striped neck ring. Just unreal!

BPOTW: Are you new to my blog too? If so, welcome. I'd love it if you would join on as a Follower, if you haven't already.

JJ: They are such beautiful subjects, I couldn't go wrong with capturing their photos. They are AWESOME birds.

Brian: Thanks! Stay tuned, there are two more sets of photos coming over the next 2 days. I went nuts taking their photos.

Grannyann: Yes! Go to http://www.allaboutbirds.com and type in common loon, they have sounds on tape. They make haunting, wonderful sounds.

DJan: I am so glad you liked them. I was thrilled beyond belief to see them.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

They are amazing. I don't think I've seen them before, and they are beautiful. To think some people don't even notice birds like them while they're outside, those types of people are really missing out. Congrats on the great shots!

Brittany said...

Totally worth it! Beautiful as always. I am love with your photography skills. Truly am. And you are not allowed to leave the computer....EVER! Have fun! =)

Bernie said...

I love loons, you could of easily called this post, "On Golden Pond" and it was definitely worth the wait my friend......:-) hugs

Rick (Ratty) said...

Your cliffhanger was worth every bit of the wait. These pictures are wonderful! And the bird is absolutely spectacular! Now you have had a good feeling of deep satisfaction that can only come with an accomplishment like this. You deserve a very happy congratulations. I love that last one with the spread wings especially.

Alan Burnett said...

Great photos. I just love the shots of the two birds staring at each other.

The Retired One said...

Catherine: To have never seen a loon is awful. It is almost spiritual, especially if you here their lonesome wail.

Brittany: I sometimes think I spend too much time on my blog...but then I get such fun out of it. ha Second only to taking the photos. Ah, heck, I am retired..THIS is my new job. :-}

Ratty: Have you seen one in person?? It is magical. Just like I am sure it was when you got that shot of that beautiful Egret.

Alan: Thanks so much. I was thrilled to see TWO of them! I love it when they spread their wings and you can see all the markings.

ashley folkema said...

These birds are just beautiful! And their "call" gets me every time.

Well worth the wait :)

Anonymous said...

Simply beautifully captured shots...loved them all!

Anonymous said...

HOLY WAH WOMAN!!!! THESE ARE AWESOME!!!! You got some very excellent shots you should be extreeeeeemly proud of!!! Thanks for sharing with us!!!

Shelley said...

They are the most beautiful bird in my opinion! You captured wonderful shots!

The Retired One said...

Ashley: Yes, their call is haunting. They were not making any calls when we were watching them. But they are awesome birds.

FlyingStars: Are you new to my blog? Welcome aboard!! I hope you joined on as a Follower..it motivates me to keep going with my blog and my photography. thanks so much!

Cathy: Thanks! I was so excited, I could hardly take the first few pictures.

Shelley: I KNEW you would love them...you were the first person I thought of when I saw them and got the photos.

Stella Jones said...

Those birds have very beautiful markings and such an unusual name too! I'm so happy they posed for you and that you got such lovely pics.
Blessings, Star

The Retired One said...

Star: Their markings are phenomenal aren't they? Thanks for the nice compliments on all of my photos!

jessica said...

Love me some loons! I don't think I have heard "our" loons in the past few days. Guess I'll have to tune up my ears when we return (probably on Monday) and see if they are still swimming by.

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.
Please do not copy any of my photographs (or narratives) without my permission! All pictures will be tracked for copyright violations.

Lijit Search

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About Me

My photo
I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!

Blog Archive

ultimate translation selector

To get more traffic to your blog: