LIKE MY BLOG? Click below on "FOLLOW" and add yourself to the list of my followers!

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION
All pictures (and blogposts) are copyrighted and may not be reproduced/used in any manner without my PRIOR approval. Thank you for respecting my hard work.

Friday, August 14, 2009

Lake, Birds and Sunsets: Part One

The last two days, we have had gorgeous, warm, balmy 80 degree weather with a soft breeze.

When we get those kind of days in the U.P., most people try to drop everything and enjoy the outdoors as much as possible.

Those of us that live on lakes, get out on our boats, pontoons, wave runners and ride or fish and enjoy the lake as long as we can.

So, that's exactly what we did.

We grabbed our fishing poles, suntan lotion and soda pop and off we went.

It was as beautiful of a day as we hoped it would be.

Come on the day trip with us, won't you?:


Here is a view of our Lake Michigamme from the boat:


We spotted geese and ducks all over the lake. They must have been enjoying the day as much as we were!:




A shot of the many islands on our lake. We have 97 miles of shoreline to cruise, so every where you ride, you get wonderful panoramic views like this one:




We rode in for dinner and then got out again to catch the sunset.
We weren't disappointed:





It was turning the water orange!:



Wow! This looks like Africa, not Michigan!:





Suddenly, I had the urge to drink orange soda pop:


Wait!
I forgot to tell you the most exciting part of the day!!
When the sun was just starting to set, we were on the far side of one of the bigger islands, so as we turned the boat around to head toward home....
Here
is
what
we saw.....



"Is it???...", I asked my husband.
"I think so...." he answered
It WAS.
It was a huge EAGLE flying close to us!!:


He landed on a tall tree on the big island.
Of course I made my husband drive the boat real close to the tree and strained my telescopic feature of my camera to the limit to get this shot of him:


Isn't he glorious?
I also got one more shot of him, but it was getting darker by the minute:

That's when the orange sunset happened (as in the photos above).
What a day!!!
Sunshine, fresh air, ducks, fishing (we caught a bunch of rock bass), an eagle sighting
and
the wonderful sunset!!
Here is the last of the sun setting on the horizon:

I am blessed.

19 comments:

free dating service said...

You are really blessed good for you great pictures!

S-V-H said...

You are really blessed to see all those magnificent shows of mother nature. The sunset photos are glorious and the eagle is majestic! I never have seen an eagle so close, what a beautiful bird he is!

Thanks for sharing.
Susanne

Thank you also for your kind comment to my post :)

Sue's Daily Photography

Rick (Ratty) said...

It looks like you had a really great day. You got some wonderful pictures. And the eagle is like the icing on the cake. That must have been really exciting. I would love to see an eagle, even if I couldn't get a picture.

The Retired One said...

free dating: you are new to my blog! Welcome aboard! I hope you joined on as a Follower..would love having you stop by often.

Sunshine: you are welcome! Eagles are as magnificent up close as you can imagine....HUGE wingspans and so regal looking. I have been out on the lake for three nights now and have been lucky to get three great sunset photos.

Ratty: I know you will see an eagle someday...you ARE the bird whisperer/animal whisperer...it is just a matter of time, you'll see!

Sass said...

Those were amazing pictures!

My name is Riet said...

Oh what beautiful pictures and that eagle is so glorious.
Thank you for sharing.
Riet, The Netherlands

Sass said...

Hey, I need you to check out my post. Someone's gonna be jammin' to Cowguy's band, Keota...and that someone is YOU! ;)

Brittany said...

Oh man that Eagle is glorious! Like I said - I'm moving in with you! It's so beautiful up there and sounds so amazing!

Bernie said...

Amazing, magical and majestical. What a beautiful post my friend, loved it......:-) Hugs

DJan said...

What wonderful wonderful pictures!! And the eagle! Oh my! I am running out of superlatives but the sunset pictures and the eagle shots are some of the best I've seen. Being on this journey with you was superb. Thank you.

Wanda..... said...

Oh no Joan.....I'm sorry to tell you...but...you are never going to top that photo....which one do I mean?...Take your pick...because all of them are so wonderful.....I take that back...You probably will top them someday!

J.J. in L.A. said...

While in Juneau (before going up that mountain), we saw several eagles flying around, almost close enough to touch. They were gorgeous! Great sunset pics!

SquirrelQueen said...

Incredible photos of the sunset, the one does look more like Africa than anything we would see in the US. The eagle is magnificent and you got some great shots of him.

You have a really beautiful lake area with some great scenery.

Talking about dragonflies, I did a post last weekend on my other blog with more. The last two shots are my favorites:
http://squirrelqueen2.blogspot.com/2009/08/camera-critters-dragons-and-damsels.html

~Cheryl said...

Your sunset photos had me swooning, and then the eagle ones came along.....what a fabulous photo shoot you had! Outstanding!

Jenn Jilks said...

Glorious is the word! And you are, indeed, blessed. But then it is up to us to embrace, honour and laud the beauty around us.

Brian Miller said...

so jealous...amazing view...and great capture of the bald eagle. what a cool day! thanks for taking us on the trip with you...

The Retired One said...

Sass: I am SOOOO excited about winning the CD..thanks SO much! I tried to contact you via the email address you gave on your blog, but it got sent back to me saying it was an incorrect email address. I will try one more time.

Brittany: Thanks so much...c'mon, I have wine and we'll chat and then go for a boat ride!

Bernie: Thanks so much! I had a wonderous day!

DJan: you just know how to make my day with all those compliments. Thanks so much.

Wanda: You are soooo nice...you keep me motivated to keep finding things to photograph. Thanks so much for being my cheerleader!

JJ: I would love to go to Juneau someday to see eagles up close and personal there too!

SquirrelQueen: I saw your dragonflies...they were magnificent!

Cheryl: Wow...swooning?? That is quite the wonderful compliment..thanks so much!

Jenn: Absolutely correct. I marvel everyday when we are in the beauty here around us.

Brian: You are welcome! It was a wonderful, wonderful day with beautiful scenery, wonderful company and nature at its finest. Sigh. Even these pictures could not capture it.

Jientje said...

You are.
Truly.

You're blessed.

The Retired One said...

Jientje: Have you read the book called THE SECRET? I swear, the more I get blessed and recognize and acknowledge that I am blessed, the more blessed I become.

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.
Please do not copy any of my photographs (or narratives) without my permission! All pictures will be tracked for copyright violations.

Lijit Search

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About Me

My photo
I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!

Blog Archive

ultimate translation selector

To get more traffic to your blog: