LIKE MY BLOG? Click below on "FOLLOW" and add yourself to the list of my followers!

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION
All pictures (and blogposts) are copyrighted and may not be reproduced/used in any manner without my PRIOR approval. Thank you for respecting my hard work.

Friday, August 21, 2009

Inquiring Noses want to Know.....

Just for a little change of pace, I decided for my post for you today, that I would look at some other news stories I have kept out that either made me laugh or that I just couldn't believe.

So, grab your cup of coffee, get settled and read my today's news bulletin (that I am sure you can't live without)....

Here is the news article, along with MY COMMENTS in bold italics.

Because, you know me.

I gotta make comments.



Breaking Study on Nose Picking


* Writing in the February 1995 Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, two
Wisconsin researchers concluded that nose-picking does not create
problems for most people, but that for some, the habit "may meet
criteria for a disorder---rhinotillexomania."

Among their survey findings: 66.4% of pickers did it "to relieve discomfort or
itchiness" (versus 2.1% for "enjoyment" and 0.4% for "sexual
stimulation"); 65.1% used the index finger (versus 20.2% little
finger and 16.4% thumb); and "Once removed, the nasal debris was
examined, at least some of the time, by most respondents."
[Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, February 1995]

************************************************************************************

1. They spent MONEY on doing this study?

2. Who funded the study then? The Kleenex Company? (Let's hope they used kleenex?!)

3. Let's break down the statistics of the study, shall we? (Because at least when I went to school, they taught me critical thinking. They said whenever you see a study's results, you gotta "pick it apart". (I see a theme here).

So first, 2.1% nose picked for "enjoyment"??? Say what? I mean I can give them a list of several other things they can do for enjoyment. Besides, if I was thinking of something to do for enjoyment, I gotta tell you, nose picking would NOT make the top 500 on the enjoyment list. These people obviously need a life.

4. Let's look at the next stat, shall we? 0.4% of the people in the study did it for SEXUAL STIMULATION. I am speechless.

O.k., you know me too well. I am never speechless...

For sexual stimulation???

Wonder how they registered on E-harmony?:

"Foxy looking man looking for similarly foxy lady with long index fingers and a drive to go fishing with me up our noses. Let's get our noses together for a wild romp."????

Wonder if there is a nose picking sex counselor for those couples that have lost their swirl and dip techniques, and now their marriage is in trouble?

Wonder if when they climax it results in a sneeze?

Oh Lord..the possibilities are endless.

5. The next set of statistics focuses in on what fingers are used for nose picking. Do you mean to tell me they had people in a room, behind those creepy two way mirrors and watched the nose pickers and then took notes on their little clipboards?

I would like to see the job description of BOTH the researchers and the nosepickers:

Wanted: Researcher with a strong stomach and warped sense of science to scientifically observe and record 1,000 nose pickers in action for a highly important scientific study funded by the taxpayers of your state university (and the reason for your children's high tuition rates). Must be morbidly curious about gross things. Self nose-pickers with experience preferred, but will consider non-nose pickers with past experience in recording ridiculous research studies.

Wanted: Anyone who nose picks and does not mind being observed for a highly scientific univerisity study. Special rates will be paid for those with a reputation for bragging about their nose picking feats to others prior to the study. Please come to the interview with three references. Relatives, sexual partners, former employers and clergy references will be accepted.

6. Worse YET!: They then observed what the nose pickers DID with the results of their nosepicking??? Two words for that: EEEE-EWWWW.

Loved the criteria: "once removed, the nasal debris was examined at least some of the time, by most of the respondents".

Notice that they call it "nasal debris".

C'mon. If you are brave enough to do a stupid study on it, lets not fart around and call it "nasal debris". Call it like it is! Say snot, goobers or nosefishes. Get real.

How did they measure the "some of the time" criteria? I mean did they TIME how long they looked at it? A sneaky glance doesn't count, a >2 second glance is counted? Did they use stopwatches? If not, how scientific WAS this study, anyway?

7. My final question? What bothers me the most?:

What did the particpants in this study DO with their "nasal debris"????

They never studied or reported this, did they????

DID THEY??

To me, if this study HAD to be done, as a citizen using shopping carts, door handles, shopping counters, etc....I am MORE concerned about where they PUT their "nasal debris".

AREN'T YOU????????????????????????????????????

P.S. I apologize to any of you that have read this while eating breakfast, lunch or dinner...

34 comments:

Kearsie said...

Two things:

My kids love it.

And sometimes I have an itch, not a pick.

The Retired One said...

Kearsie: That's your story and you're STICKING to it. (get it?) HAHA

DKG aka Scrappy Doo said...

O dear Lord! my only ? is WHY??????? would u feel the need to do a study on this YUCK!! I do admit I see people all the time "diggin for gold" when I am on the interstate

DJan said...

It really IS amazing what is considered to be a legitimate study, isn't it? What they learned is not exactly clear to me!! Thanks for sharing with salient comments to make it instead of finger in nose, tongue in cheek!

The Retired One said...

Scrappy: Too funny...wouldn't want to borrow their car!

DJan: You are so quick-witted in your comments...love it!

Roshni said...

its certainly scary! The only consolation I can find is that usually these studies are done via a questionnaire to people who obviously have nothing better to do with their time other than pick their noses and write down their answers!!

Fran Hill said...

It's amazing how 'private' people feel when they're in their cars - this is when I see lots of this going on.

And yes I did read this after having nachos in the local bar. And I SO wish I hadn't had all that guacamole ...

Brian Miller said...

it really makes me wonder what the questions were they asked to uncover the sexual arousal from nose picking...that and someone got paid to study this...seriously?

♥ Boomer ♥ said...

Did they mention anything about staph? Gross!

You are so fun to visit!! Have a joyful weekend, lady!!! ♥

Helen said...

This must be a universal phenomena - to perform studies on nosepicking - I read an article just the other day here in Oz about it. And to think they even have a name for it. Like you, the sexual stimulation point got me. Life's full of creeps. We nose, you know.

Bernie said...

OMG Joan, where do you find these things....what I could read still has me laughing.....you are so funny Joan, love ya....:-) Hugs

The Retired One said...

Roshni: I wouldn't want to open those letters of returned questionnaires then, would you? ha

Fran: oh yuck. I am not going to buy another used car until I get a bottle of sanitizer on the steering wheel. ha

Brian: I KNOW. Icka.

Boomer: No, but I would sanitize everything involved. Twice. ha Glad you like to stop by and read me. It means a lot to me that my Followers check and comment often.

Machinist's Wife: Funny that you saw another article about this too.
Lord help us!

The Retired One said...

Bernie: Glad I could make you smile today..that is my goal! :-}

Joy Tilton said...

You have such a great gift, finding these studies and making us aware!

Joanna Jenkins said...

Nose picking is short for Rhinotillexomania?!?!? Who knew :-)
xo

June Saville said...

Scientific research or not - it made a great blog post!
June in Oz

Far Side of Fifty said...

Years ago I did daycare, some of the boys would have a booger on their finger and chase the little girls..the girls would scream and run..it wasn't funny at the time..but it is now:)

Rick (Ratty) said...

I wasn't eating anything while I was reading this, but I was beginning to get sick. They should do a study on that. I'm sure they already have.

I'd like to add a little observation on this subject. Whenever there is a baseball game on TV, they should never turn the camera on the team's manager for too long. It doesn't matter who it is, his finger always goes right to his nose.

lotusleaf said...

I laughed so much at your comments that my headache went away. But my nose started itching!

Alan Burnett said...

I love these news items you bring us. I must agree that all that detail in the survey (why, how, when ....) is a bit over the top but nose picking is an interesting subject in some ways - most of us spend a considerable amount of time doing it.

The Retired One said...

Joycee: Its a calling... :-}

Joanna: Inquiring minds want to know. ha

June: Thanks. A gross one too.

FarSide: Eeee-ewwww!

Ratty: Evidently in sports, anything goes. I don't even want to THINK about what happens with jock straps.

Lotusleaf: Wait, maybe there is a study for that. Let me go look it up. I will get back to everybody...

Alan: Too. Much. Information.
:-}

Insanitykim said...

HAHHAAHHA oh man

This was classic!

Yeah I want to know who are the flickers, wipers, eaters, etc...not that I know anything about any of this...um...

maybe they ran out of funding...

L. D. said...

I have been late checking in on your blog, but this one is memorable. I am speechless that you have this information in hand and the whole world probably did not benefit from it even though a lot of money was spent to find this out. Oh well, I am still speechless, no comment. Thanks for the info... I think....Have a great Sunday.

The Retired One said...

Insanity: I can do without knowing any more details! ha

L.D.: I am glad I got you speechless. ha I am a fountain of information.Decided to throw some humor in instead of always posting pictures.

Unknown said...

OMG! Iloved his post! You are ally insane! I have to follow this blog! I'm retired, too.

dreamwalker said...

"I am MORE concerned about where they PUT their "nasal debris"." --> So am I! And yeah, my late lunch is right beside me now. LOL, I should have known better than to read on (and eat) after I saw the title BUT I couldn't help it.

CiCi said...

You are such a booger!
Love your sense of humor.

The Retired One said...

Eva: I am SO glad you stopped by my blog and joined on as a Follower! Thanks so much. Yes, I am insane. Ha
My blog is a mix of humor and photos..hope you like it. Isn't being retired FANTASTIC??

Dreamwalker: Then maybe I should do a blogpost on vomit research! hahahahaaa

TechnoBabe: You joined on as a FOLLOWER, right??? Because I HAVE to have a Follower named Technobabe...I just gotta. I do blogposts about news and funny things plus a lot of photography...so I hope you joined us permanently as a Follower! We have a lot of fun here with our comments too!

Anonymous said...

I laughed so hard I snorted...but didn't pay any attention to the flying debris. Do you suppose this was paid for in part by stimulus funding??? I mean, since mining for booger nuggets is supposed to be sexually stimulating for some....

grannyann said...

Oh my gosh, we are just getting out of the stage the little g-kids were going thru with the booger bit, showing and telling us all about it and trying to touch their sibling with it......ughhhhhh

Jientje said...

Yuck!!! You've got a point there!!

LOL at #4!!!!

The Retired One said...

Cathy: Funny!! No more snorting for you...besides doesn't snorting involve IN and OUT??

Grannyann: Little kids are so funny about that and about #2 aren't they?

Jientje: The article was so bizarre, I had to post it because I found it so funny...even though it was gross!

Maniacal Mommy said...

I am raising some hardcore nose pickers. However, we aren't brand specific: they ask for tissue!

Oy!

The Retired One said...

Maniacal: What IS it with kids and nosepicking anyway??? Is it inherited? Is it learned? Do animals nosepick???? So many questions, so little time! ha

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.
Please do not copy any of my photographs (or narratives) without my permission! All pictures will be tracked for copyright violations.

Lijit Search

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About Me

My photo
I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!

Blog Archive

ultimate translation selector

To get more traffic to your blog: