LIKE MY BLOG? Click below on "FOLLOW" and add yourself to the list of my followers!

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION
All pictures (and blogposts) are copyrighted and may not be reproduced/used in any manner without my PRIOR approval. Thank you for respecting my hard work.

Friday, August 28, 2009

Loons: Part 2

As you know from yesterday's post, I got the wonderful experience of seeing loons on Lake Arflin earlier this week.

Of course I took a zillion pictures of them, so lucky you....I had so many I am going to do three (count them: THREE) posts with just the shots I got of them.

Besides, as you are reading this, I am on my way to visit my daughter, husband and to hug on my two grandkids for the weekend. I preposted these blog posts so that they would schedule to go on my blog while I am away....

Hope you enjoy these pictures half as much as I enjoyed taking them!:
I think they are beautiful creatures:



The loon did not like the boat across the lake that was hauling a person on a water tube.
The boat did not come close at all to the loons, but he went into
protective mode right away:



Just going for a leisurely swim as a couple:




Peek-a-boo, Fish....I see you!:





Another shot of this beauty:






Primping to be done.....




I thought I felt a fish tickle my webbed feet!:



They went by a boat dock to our right, so the big pole in the way of the next photo, could not be helped. The boat was starting up again across the lake, so the loon went into protective mode again!:

Aren't his black and white markings on his back remarkable???

They just amaze me!

We will be gone a few days, so if I don't get to read or comment on your blogs (or answer your comments on my blog) for a few days, be patient! I will get to them and I will read them.

Tomorrow, I have preposted the last set of loon pictures for you, so check back then!

I should be back by Monday....

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!








14 comments:

Sue said...

Very nice photos Joan. I have heard loons, but never have seen one. You're lucky to have them near.
Take care, and hope you enjoy the weekend,
Sue

DKG aka Scrappy Doo said...

Beautiful! I love how the loon sounds. You are soooo lucky
Blessings

Shelley said...

This was a bonus post for me since Loons are my absolute favorite birds!! Loved these pics!! Did they have a baby w/ them or nearby? Which lake did you see them on? (Yes, I'm trying to control my excitement but I'm always eager to hear loon reports especially due to their declining population. I do the reports for my lake.) :-)

The Retired One said...

Sue: Don't you just love their sound on a lake? So haunting!

ScrappyDO: yes, I love hearing them and seeing them.

Shelley:We did not see a baby and we watched them for a long time. It was on Arflin Lake in Marquette County. They were the only two we saw. The next day we saw ONE lone one on Michigamme Lake (where we live) but it was too far away for me to get a good picture of it. These are the only three loons we have seen this summer.

rainfield61 said...

Have a wonderful weekend, as free as the loon.

Rick (Ratty) said...

I'm glad you are sharing so many photos of these loons. Sometimes we get such good, and so many, photos that we need to share them over several days.

dreamwalker said...

Those black and white markings remind me of guinea fowl. Come to think of it, I don't think we have loons here.

Bernie said...

Love, love these loons and am looking forward to tomorrow's post, in the meantime enjoy your weekend with your family and an extra big hug to your grandchildren, be safe and come back soon......:-)

Anonymous said...

You have no idea how much I would love to pitch a tent at the edge of this lake and listen to the sounds of the loons....can you figure out a way to record that on your photos??? :-)

DJan said...

I can hear the loon's call in my mind right now, very haunting. I had no idea they have such beautiful markings, though. Thanks for enlightening me! And have a great trip.

Ashley Folkema said...

I love the one of them taking off or spreading their wings. Beautiful!

The Retired One said...

Rainfield: Will do! Thanks.

Ratty: Yes, since I am gone and did a prepublish, it worked well to do this when I was going to be gone.

Dreamwalker: I don't think I have seen a guinea fowl. You will have to take some pictures of one.

Bernie: Thanks! There will be one more posting of them tomorrow. My granddaughter Miranda's birthday is Sunday, but we are having a birthday party today. Should be fun.

Cathy: They never made a peep when we were there. I wish they would have, I would love to hear them.

DJan: Thanks. I am glad they are automatically posting the way they were supposed to, as we have been busy on our trip. There will be one more post with them tomorrow.

Ashley: Thanks! I love it when they spread their wings too!

jessica said...

Hey - we hear loons on our portion of the lake (where we live) very frequently. They were vocalizing just before the thunder-and-lightning-storm we had in the wee hours of Friday (about 3 am). I just love that sound. Kinda soothing and so beautiful to hear.

The Retired One said...

Jess: Wow, you are so lucky to hear and see them on a regular basis. I just love the loons!

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.
Please do not copy any of my photographs (or narratives) without my permission! All pictures will be tracked for copyright violations.

Lijit Search

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About Me

My photo
I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!

Blog Archive

ultimate translation selector

To get more traffic to your blog: