LIKE MY BLOG? Click below on "FOLLOW" and add yourself to the list of my followers!

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION
All pictures (and blogposts) are copyrighted and may not be reproduced/used in any manner without my PRIOR approval. Thank you for respecting my hard work.

Monday, March 23, 2009

Useless Facts and Trivia!!

When browsing the internet, I found an article called "Absolutely Useless Trivia", which I would like to share with you in installments, along with (what else?): "My Thoughts!"

So here is Volume One of Fifteen: (My thoughts are in italics):

1. A rat can last longer without water than a camel. (although it is harder to ride a rat into the desert).

2. Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks, otherwise it will digest itself. (You didn't know you were a mucus-maker, now DID you?)


3. The Declaration of Independence (the very official copy in the Rotunda of the National Archives) is written on parchment, not paper. (You bake some cookies on parchment, to keep them from burning on the bottom and being burnt. Hmmm...maybe the forefathers were on to something!)

4. The dot over the letter 'i' is called a tittle. (This is making a hundred 11-year-old boys giggle uncontrollably).

5. A raisin dropped in a fresh glass of soda will bounce up and down continually from the bottom of the glass to the top. (You are going to test this one, aren't you? AREN'T YOU?)

6. A female ferret will die if it goes into heat and cannot find a mate. (Poor baby. We need to take her aside and talk to her, aren't we ladies?) (But, that PMS is a bitch, isn't it?)

7. A 2x4 is actually 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" . (Now, if you are a man, you probably understand why this is so. That is not a sexist statement, it is just an observation. Can anybody out there explain why this is so about the 2X4's?) (I hear crickets chirping...anyone? Anyone?)

8. 40% of McDonald's profits come from the sales of Happy Meals. (I am sure a few adults get them, too. And besides, its for the TOYS. When will Mickey-D figure out that if they offer adult toys with adult meals, their sales will go up?)

9. Every person has a unique tongue print. (Say "aaah") (Go ahead...slap some Milk of Magnesia on it and blot on a piece of paper, and then have your loved ones do the same. But, don't use too much, because then you will have to stand in line to use the toilet. Not. Pretty.) Also, how many crimes have been solved by tongue prints?????

10. The 'spot' on 7-UP comes from its inventor who had red eyes. He was an albino. (Wow, who knew that? And, isn't it kind of creepy?) Now, every time I look at a 7-up bottle, I'm going to be creeped out.

Stay tuned for more Useless facts and Trivia blog posts...they will be coming...

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

#2 - I just threw up in my mouth a little. Just knowing it was mucus I threw up makes me throw up even more.

Also, be prepared for yet another award from moi! (That's French. Aren't you so impressed? No? Well, you're hard to impress then.)

jessica said...

Adult toys? Where does the line form??!! I want the R-rated ones!

The Retired One said...

Kearsie: You little mucus-vomit maker you!! Calm down...what goes on inside your stomach, STAYS in your stomach (hopefully!)
An AWARD??? Woo-hoo!!! I mean: "La Miracle!" and "Merci Beaucoup!". I will become prepared and wait to see your a la surprise!

Jessica: Yeah, I KNEW when I wrote "adult toys" someone would picture things with batteries! Ok, you can be second in line (behind me).

Anonymous said...

i was going to make the same sort of comment as jessica...adult toys at mcdonalds. now THAT would be something...wouldn't it?!
congrats on your awards!!
oh and...
the poor ferret...

The Retired One said...

Melissa: Yep, I think we need to call good old Mickey-D's and suggest this. It would boost their sales and help the economy!
Yes, I feel sorry for Ms. Ferret. Always in a frenzy, lookin' for love. (Heck, I think I knew some friends like that in college, come to think of it!!) hahaaaaaa...

Insanitykim said...

1. I can outlast a camel AND a rat... and I don't drink water!

2. I think most of that mucus comes from my post nasal drip...my body parts love helping each other out!

3. What's the Declaration of Independence?

4. Wait until they hear the world uvula!

5. Soon I will do the mentos and diet coke experiment...please PLEASE don't eat mentos and drink diet coke! Seriously!

6. Well, what if she finds him, but he doesn't call her back?

7. Sigh...no wonder my house fell down.

8. Do you mean like REAL adult toys? Brings a whole new sick meaning to "happy meal".

9. Tongues are so amazing...ly weird.

10. And that is why 7up is clear, and why 7up w/ two cherries is the albino drink of choice.

Fran Hill said...

The other difference between the rat and camel is that your cat will have a hell of a job catching the camels in your basement.
Like the blog, Retired One. You have a new follower.

The Retired One said...

Insanity Kim: Funny list of your own,silly girl!!
Loved it!

Fran: Funny! Welcome aboard! How did you find me? I will check out your blog right away, too!

heather kathleen said...

you said tittle! i love it! and i'm so glad you stopped by and then i got to stop by....i'm coming back too sister. don't be scared :)

The Retired One said...

Mouthy: I love it! I am so glad you joined in..I love your blog! Did you officially sign on as a "follower" yet? (I will check!) hahaaa.a....

Shelley said...

Lol! Now I'm worried about my stomach, think that 7 up is a creepy drink and also that I should immediately write Mcdonalds w/ my adult toy suggestions! LOL!

efaqffqaewfm said...

In response to #7: Lumber manufacturers typically cut a tree into dimensional lumber very shortly after the tree is felled. Then, the newly-sawn (but soaking wet) lumber is kiln-dried until it reaches the desired moisture level. As lumber dries, it shrinks (as the moisture in the wood is reduced, the wood cells shrink). While the 8' length won't change much as the wood dries, the 2" width and 4" height (cross-section of the grain) will shrink substantially.

Because of this shrinkage, a typical 2x4 will usually measure out to about 1-1/2" x 3-1/2". These numbers can vary slightly, but modern lumber manufacturers are pretty adept at delivering consistently-sized supplies of dimensional lumber.

I fully support the idea of adult toys at Mc Donald's! I think I would eat there a lot more often :o)

Rick (Ratty) said...

Great post! My sister, who is grown and has two kids, buys happy meals for herself just to get the toys. Even if they made them with a more adult theme, she'd still buy the one for kids.

The 7-up thing creeps me out too, but it's really interesting.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

OK, I have to be a nerd and explain that the 2x4 dimension is supposedly the size before planing to make them uniform. But it's interesting to note that 2x4s used to really be 2x4, and that planing doesn't really seem to make them all straight or good. If you want good ones you have to pay premium prices.

Loree said...

Loved the tittle one. I will have to tell all the male sin my life. I am sure they will love it.

The Retired One said...

Shellmo: Didn't mean to make you worry. But some of these are pretty interesting. I gotta admit, I might switch to Sprite instead of 7-up. I am not albino-phobic, but to put the red dot on the bottle?...still creepy!

VaBookworm: Look below your explanation. Sharkbytes says it has to do with the planing, not the shrinkage. Besides, either way, why don't they just cut the wood BIGGER to compensate for the planing/shrinkage then? Besides, they USED to be all standard 2X4's, so there IS a way to do it.
Most explanations I have heard is that is to save wood (get more yield out of a tree).

Ratty: I think I like your sister!

Sharkbytes: So, read VaBookworm's remarks. You two will have to duke it out. I still think it is purely to get more yield (thus more money) out of the trees.

Loree: Yes, all males seem to like tittles. hahaaa

Anonymous said...

I adore reading your posts LOL, I never know WHAT to expect when I visit you and I love it --- I agree with what you wrote in my blog, winter isnt over quite yet and yes we could well get more snow! By the way, nice to see who I talk to now ..great photo!
Huggles, Debie

The Retired One said...

Debb: Thanks honey! Did I look like you thought I would?

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.
Please do not copy any of my photographs (or narratives) without my permission! All pictures will be tracked for copyright violations.

Lijit Search

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About Me

My photo
I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!

Blog Archive

ultimate translation selector

To get more traffic to your blog: