There is was!
Sunday, January 23, 2011
Purple Finch (or Rose-breasted Grosbeak?) and Hairy Woodpeckers!
In the dead of winter,
it is delightful
It is especially delightful to see birds
this time of year....
I am always envious of those Blogger friends of mine
that have Cardinals visit them.
We have only had a few of them visit us, and only ONE time did one visit us in the winter...
for a total of less than 60 seconds.
So, early this winter,
I was thrilled to look outside of my window
only to see a flash of red up in the apple trees.
There is was!
It was red.
But it wasn't a rose-breasted Grosbeak (or was it?).
And it didn't look like a purple finch...
It only stayed for 30 seconds...
long enough for me to get 4 semi-blurry shots!:
But it was a thrill...nevertheless!:
Do you think it was a Purple Finch
WAS it a rose breasted grosbeak?
I also have about two pairs
of Hairy woodpeckers here that visit my suet regularly.
I am also envious of all of you that get the Pileated Woodpeckers to come and land so close...
here, they are very shy and do NOT come to my feeders or even close to my yard.
But these guys amuse me and I like seeing them too:
I love it when they visit during
a snow storm!
Sometimes we wonder how they survive out there during blizzards!
I hope you are surprised and amused by something
as you look out your window
this winter's day!
- The Retired One
- I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!
- ► 2012 (91)
- Hoarfrost: Part TWO!
- Blue Sky and branches of Hoarfrost!
- Winter Cemetery
- Purple Finch (or Rose-breasted Grosbeak?) and Ha...
- Snow Snaps
- Here They ARE!!! All TWELVE of our 2010 winning ph...
- Nature's Ice Sculptures: Part THREE
- Mourning Doves!
- We have a Winner!!: December's Free Photo Contest:...
- Purple Finches and a Mystery Bird!!
- Nature's Ice Sculptures: Part TWO
- Evening Grosbeaks!
- Nature's Ice Sculptures
- New: 2011 FREE Amateur Photography PHOTO Contest ...
- Here they Are! December's FREE PHOTO CONTEST Entri...
- Happy New Year!
- ▼ January (17)
- ► 2010 (230)
- ► 2009 (298)