LIKE MY BLOG? Click below on "FOLLOW" and add yourself to the list of my followers!
Thursday, September 16, 2010
What the Heck is a Bittern???
If you didn't read my last blogpost
on the Sandhill Crane Migration,
please drop down to the bottom
of this one,
and click on "older posts" on the right hand corner
and read that first.
We went on a trip out to the Sturgeon River Sloughs
and watched over a hundred Sandhill Cranes migrate in...
it was wonderous!
While waiting for the Sandhill Cranes to fly in,
a guide spotted a bird.
He said it was rare in our area
and wanted us to see it.
It was WAY across the field in a pond, so I didn't get
great photos of it.
But I wanted you to see one,
in case you didn't ever see one before.
A Bittern is a heron-like bird.
Read about it HERE.
(You can even click on the sound this bird makes on the link, which is very unusual.)
So, now that you saw a good photo of one
at the All About Birds site (by clicking on the link),
here is my
There brown, tan and white stripes makes them blend in with
their environment so they are not easy to spot...especially across a pond
on a cloudy day!:
The sun came out a few times, and when it did,
it's feathers looked redder and it was easier to spot:
I am so happy to be able to share
it with you....
my blogger friends...
because like the theme
for the Enquirer goes:
"inquiring minds want to know!!
REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.
- The Retired One
- I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!
- ► 2012 (91)
- ► 2011 (187)
- Blue Heron Sighting!
- Princess in the Woods?
- My FAVORITE kind of Surprise in the Woods!!
- This and That from the Woods....
- Random Thoughts about Random Subjects: Today? Ch...
- Turtles and Tufts!
- What the Heck is a Bittern???
- Sandhill Crane Migration!!
- Bugs, Buds, and other Beauty!
- August 2010 FREE Photo Contest Winner for Sunrises...
- Butterfly, Bridge, and Nature's Beauty
- More this and that August Photos!
- Summer Birds!
- My Birthday Gift to YOU!!!
- More This and That from July and August
- This and That from July and August
- Here they ARE!!==August's Photo Contest Entries!!
- ▼ September (18)
- ► 2009 (298)