Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Tahquamenon Falls in the Winter
I know that by the time this gets published, most of the snow in these pictures will have melted.
I took them during the first week of March.
Remember early last fall, when I went and met with Cathy, from YOOPER YARNS near Newberry, Michigan?
Remember how we hiked into beautiful Tahquamenon Falls and got some autumn pictures?
Well, it was always my intention to try to get back to the falls and capture some winter photos of the falls, because I knew it would be spectacular.
I had hoped for a little more ice at the falls, but this winter, for some reason, we had abnormally mild temperatures and less snow and ice than usual.
But, nonetheless, the falls were still awesome in the winter scene.
We were lucky.
Although the trails still had plenty of snow on them, it was a gorgeous, sunny day in the high 40'sF and the snowmobiles had packed down the trail enough that we did not need snowshoes to hike in.
We actually got kind of hot hiking in all our winter gear.
And we didn't see another soul during the entire walk in and out.
All that beauty and no one there!
Here are the stairs down to one of the falls lookouts:
You know me, I'm a pushover for icicles. They make me weak in the knees:
The gorge with ice next to the river and close to the falls:
Some information on the falls and river and a nice lookout spot:
The falls, pouring right into the river of snow!:
A view from farther down the river:
We strolled back to the car in the winter sunshine, happy to have shared this wonderful scenery that Mother Nature had provided to us.
ONLY ONE day left to enter my free photo contest. Please get your entries in by midnight, March 31st, following THESE RULES.
March's theme is: Something Green or Something Irish
- The Retired One
- I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!
- ► 2012 (91)
- ► 2011 (187)
- Tahquamenon Falls in the Winter
- Icy Lighthouse
- More Lake Michigan Ice!
- Where have all the photos gone????......
- The Glorious Mackinac Bridge (on ice!)
- The Gift that Keeps on Giving...
- Canyon Falls in the Winter: Part 4: Last in the Se...
- More Dumb State Laws: Indiana!
- We interrupt winter to bring you this Spring MESSA...
- Canyon Falls in the Winter: Part THREE
- Blogger Meeting!
- Canyon Falls in the Winter: Part TWO
- Canyon Falls in the Winter: Part ONE
- Lovey Dovey
- More Useless Tidbits
- We have a Winner!!!: February's Photo Contest Results
- Busy as a............(nope, not a BEE, guess again...
- Here they ARE!: February 2010 Photo Contest Entrie...
- No thanks, Ma'm.......
- ▼ March (19)
- ► 2009 (298)