LIKE MY BLOG? Click below on "FOLLOW" and add yourself to the list of my followers!

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION
All pictures (and blogposts) are copyrighted and may not be reproduced/used in any manner without my PRIOR approval. Thank you for respecting my hard work.

Monday, March 8, 2010

More Useless Tidbits

Time again for MORE USELESS TIDBITS (along with MY COMMENTS in bold italics), which is alot like my Useless Trivia series, but oh well...its a long winter, and I have to amuse myself, right?







1. Caesar salad has nothing to do with any of the Caesar. It was first concocted in a bar in Tijuana, Mexico, in the 1920's.

A bar? Did I say a BAR???? Good grief, I would have concocted a drink with that name! And people would be a LOT happier drinking it than eating a boring salad. Et Tu, Brutus!






2. A raisin dropped in a glass of fresh champagne will bounce up and down continually from the bottom of the glass to the top.




I know you are going to buy a big bottle of the bubbly to try this, aren't you? I know I am! I heard before that if your champagne goes flat, if you add a raisan it will get its bubbles back too. So here's to you (glasses clicking)..and Me (hic!)...if we try it and it doesn't work, then we can drink our sorrows away together. Geez, I just noticed that No. 1 and No. 2 of this Useless Tidbits list involves alcohol already. Maybe I am on a roll....







3. Celery has negative calories! It takes more calories to eat a piece of celery than the celery has in it to begin with.

But, who wants to eat it? Although if I ate celery all day long I could "bank up" about 300 calories and go have a milkshake..this might work for me. Or, I could have that bottle of bubbly without guilt and use the strings from the celery as dental floss to clean out my teeth. (See? I KNEW I could work in alcohol into Tidbit #3!!)









4. You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching television.


That's IT!! I am going to publish the new diet for the world and become filthy rich! The Eat Celery all night and then go to Bed Diet"!!! Wanna join me in the Bahamas after I make a shitload of money from it? Who wants to be my first control group??












5. The two longest one-syllable words in the English language is "screeched & strengths."

I know you. You are going to go to your dictionary and go word by word to see if this is correct. I don't blame you. I hope I will still be blogging when you leave a comment to tell me this is wrong or right. Of course, now that they are making up new words at a fast pace, by then, there may be a new word that beats them.



6. Barbie's measurements if she were life size: 39-23-33.


Is that before her boob job, or after? She is going to have to buy all her clothes from Fredrick's of Hollywood to make sure her tops fit and then buy her pants in the boy's department for her narrow hips.













7. Barbie's full first name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.


Her mother was very, very cruel. She showed HER....she runs around naked now with her hair all cut up from all those little girls that sheared her off and hanging around the gutters of messy closets (doing who-knows-what) with Ken. Note to self: it is very important to name your children so that they have no trauma from it.




8. All of the clocks in Pulp Fiction are stuck on 4:20.


Someone look this up for us and tell us why the Producer/Director did this? Because I am WAY too lazy. I just watched Pulp Fiction for the John Travolta eye candy....like most women did. (You mean there was a plot? With symbolism? Who knew???)





9. A coat hanger is 44 inches long if straightened.

Just in case you wanted to make a back of your calf scratcher or something. And why didn't they make them 43 inches or 45 inches?? Why? Oh Lord, WHY????? And who took the time to measure this? Why did they need to?











10. "Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt".


Ah hell, you might as well look this up at the same time you look up what words are the longest one-syllable words in there. Here I thought there was the word: pimt (as in what a prostitute is by their pimp). Or humt (what my sock is from the chiquaqua...or wait..that is humped)....sorry....I bet my computer spell check wouldn't have corrected THAT ONE! But you know, with all that texting going on, the dictionary is going to change..you just wait and see!!


******************************************************************************

Don't forget!!

Please enter the FREE photo contest for March 2010.

This month's theme is: "Something Green or Something Irish".

Enter by March 31st, 2010, midnight EST

You can read the rules HERE on how to submit your picture!

21 comments:

Lynn Kellan said...

What a coincidence! My measurements are the same as Barbie's, just in a different order: 23-33-39

Wanda..... said...

Thanks for bringing all this to my attention, Joan. I needed excuses to drink and nap.

sharon said...

Two thoughts struck me immediately: I had the Caesar salad in Tijuana once and got sicker than I've ever been in my life. And if sleeping burns so many calories, why aren't I Barbie's size?

Kearsie said...

Me me!! I'll be in your control group!

And then we'll take pictures for the Sleeping Postures Calendar.

Brian Miller said...

no wonder i am gaining weight i dont eat celery or sleep that much. but i gotta try that raisin trick...

Unknown said...

good ones! I especially like the one about celery...gotta' start eating more of that!

DJan said...

You know you are sick, don't you, Joan? And this post proves it! Thanks for the great grins and belly laughs.

CiCi said...

I just asked hubby who is clean and sober for nine years about the 4:20 clock thingy and he said that is code for a pot bust by the police. I never knew that. I watched Pulp Fiction for the same reason you did! You did give me a good idea, I can take a hanger apart for a back scratcher.

Ann said...

Well that is about worthless information!!! until someone asks me.......

The Retired One said...

Lynn: hahahaaa...me too, on a GOOD day. :-}

Wanda: Don't forget your celery, too.

Sharon: You just need MORE sleep, after you eat some celery.

Kearsie: Yes, we will make a calendar of that too.

Brian: Let me know how it works out for you! :-}

Eva: you can always dip it in the Champagne...I bet it would taste better that way.

DJan: Thanks! That is so sweet of you. ha

TechnoBabe; Good info on the 4:20 thing, now we all know!

Grannyann: Oh, you can't kid me, you'll USE this silly stuff, you just wait and see...some party or something or a trivia game...you'll thank me someday. ha

Loree said...

Too funny. Well at least now we have another reason to go take a nap. And I can't wait to get my hands on some celery. NOT :)

RNSANE said...

These tid bits are so important for my education and enrichment as I don't get much, otherwise, these days...perhaps I am too busy imbibing!!! I WISH!

Writing Without Periods! said...

I never knew Barbie's middle name till now. That is really cool...and it fits her. She is such a priss. :-)
Mary

The Retired One said...

Loree: I always wondered what the use for celery was...as it is tasteless unless you add a boatload of salt...and that is awful for you. ha

RNSane: Ha..yes, I imbibe much less that in those college days studying for RN classes. ha

Writing: You are new to the blog, right? I hope you sign(ed) on as a Follower...love to have you join us permanently!!!!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

These are good! Wish I liked celery and slept more! Maybe that's my problem. I wonder how many calories we burn blogging? :)

Rick (Ratty) said...

The thing with the clocks from Pulp Fiction is, I believe, a reference to marijuana. You can find a ton of information about it on Wikipedia.

The Retired One said...

Catherine: Probably none, otherwise I would be skinny. ha

Ratty: Yes, you are right...read the comments above yours...it is a police call for a drug bust.

Kelly @ Impowerage said...

Thanks for the random trivia, I'm going to have to find some way to fit this into conversations to appear smarter.

The Retired One said...

Kelly: Yep, save them for your next "coctail" party.they will think you are brilliant. ha

SquirrelQueen said...

Well I never get enough sleep (look at the time stamp on this post if you have doubts) but I love celery .... in a Bloody Mary! Got any spaces left in that control group?

Joan, I love your useless info posts.

The Retired One said...

SquirrelQueen: Oooo, I usually am sleeping soundly at 4:00 am, hope you can sleep past that once in a while! Glad you love the posts, I do them every couple of weeks. I suppose I'll "run out" eventually. ha

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.
Please do not copy any of my photographs (or narratives) without my permission! All pictures will be tracked for copyright violations.

Lijit Search

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About Me

My photo
I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!

Blog Archive

ultimate translation selector

To get more traffic to your blog: