Sunday, March 28, 2010
As you know from my other blogposts, we went to meet another Blogger (Shelley from Birding in Michigan and Building a Log Cabin) in Mackinaw City, Michigan.
Mackinac City lies just south of the U.P. by the Mackinac Bridge.
While there, I had to stop by the shore and take pictures of the Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse. It was built in 1892.
I always like looking up at the top of lighthouses:
And at the lighthouse peaks and roof:
(Somebody needs to wash the windows up there!)
But I loved the brick and the side windows on this one and how it is tucked into the corner of the Lightkeeper's house:
It is now the cornerstone for a lovely park:
I also loved the red roof:
The lighthouse and park overlooked the lonely and icy lake:
I loved it:
...and I wondered how many lighthouse keepers lived there in the past...
Keeping watch for big ore boats on the lake:
And shining the light to lead the sailors to safety:
The park was abandoned, except for me, bracing the wind to take my photographs.
I wonder how lonely the Lighthouse Keeper was all winter long there.
If you get a chance, go to the link above about the lighthouse, it has some fascinating history and shows you a map of where it is located.
DON'T forget to enter my FREE photography contest for March...you only have THREE days left! March's theme is "Something Green or Something Irish"....make sure you get your entries in my midnight on March 31st, following THESE RULES.
- The Retired One
- I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!
- ► 2012 (91)
- ► 2011 (187)
- Tahquamenon Falls in the Winter
- Icy Lighthouse
- More Lake Michigan Ice!
- Where have all the photos gone????......
- The Glorious Mackinac Bridge (on ice!)
- The Gift that Keeps on Giving...
- Canyon Falls in the Winter: Part 4: Last in the Se...
- More Dumb State Laws: Indiana!
- We interrupt winter to bring you this Spring MESSA...
- Canyon Falls in the Winter: Part THREE
- Blogger Meeting!
- Canyon Falls in the Winter: Part TWO
- Canyon Falls in the Winter: Part ONE
- Lovey Dovey
- More Useless Tidbits
- We have a Winner!!!: February's Photo Contest Results
- Busy as a............(nope, not a BEE, guess again...
- Here they ARE!: February 2010 Photo Contest Entrie...
- No thanks, Ma'm.......
- ▼ March (19)
- ► 2009 (298)