Friday, April 8, 2011
Part Six: Lulu at Homosassa Springs Wildlife Park
In my first post about Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park
I mentioned that all the wildlife and birds in the park
are ones natural to the state of Florida.
You see, a long time ago, this park was a privately owned zoo.
And its favorite resident was a hippo named LULU.
The people who live near the park love him (I found out it is a HIM, not a HER! Lulu is short for Lucifer!) , as he has resided there for many, many years.
The day we visited, we learned it was Lulu's birthday.
Just GUESS how old he was that day???
51 (yes you read right, fifty ONE!!)
Did you know that the average hippopotamus lives to be around 60 years old???
We were AMAZED at that fact.
Anyway, Lulu was very playful the day we visited. I think he was showing off a little bit for us tourists on his birthday, and everyone was loving it.
Here he is,in all his glory!:
Isn't he pretty?:
He is giving us "the eye":
Holy moley, did you see those molars?:
He is going to sleep. We must be boring him with our undying adoration!:
When a hippo falls asleep and then wakes up in the water, and yawns...do they choke?:
Just swimming around. Don't you LOVE the hair on his ears?:
(I bet he could eat quite a big BIG MAC with that mouth!)
I have two words of advice for Lulu:
Oops, I don't think he liked my advice! Although he DID put on quite a show for us!:
This sign cracked me up. (It couldn't be serious):
OR.....MAYBE it WAS!!:
(Get it?? The END????)
(I must say it was a BIG ENDING, don't you think?)
- The Retired One
- I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!
- ► 2012 (91)
- Still This and That from Winter Photographs!
- Canyon Falls Late Winter Hike: Part Two
- Canyon Falls Late Winter Hike: Part ONE
- Spring Hoarfrost!
- We have a WINNER for the March's Free Photo Contes...
- This and That from Winter Leftovers!
- Florida Sandhill Cranes!
- Wood Ducks in Florida!
- Part Six: Lulu at Homosassa Springs Wildlife Park
- Cedar Waxwings!!
- Part FIVE: Homosassa Springs Wildlife Park in Flor...
- Here they Are! March's FREE PHOTO CONTEST Entries:...
- ▼ April (15)
- ► 2010 (230)
- ► 2009 (298)