Friday, December 3, 2010
SEVEN Swans a Swimming......(well, Ok...TWO then!)
We have snow now here in the U.P. (Upper Peninsula) of Michigan.
But, I still had autumn photos to show you!!
In fact, I haven't even gotten out to take any winter photos for you yet!
But hopefully, the photos today will please you
get you in the Christmas Spirit..
Now all together now...
let's sing the Twelve Days of Christmas together, okay?
I'll catch up to you when you get to...............
SEVEN Swans a Swimming!!!
I only have TWO swans a swimming for you today...
they are such beautiful creatures when you find them in the wild...
We drove out to a pond I jokingly refer to as our "secret pond" with my husband.
He had just said..."we probably won't see anything today, because most of the ducks have already migrated out of here. It is too late in the season".
We rounded the corner and something white caught BOTH of our eyes.
He stopped the truck so I could walk in closer,
just in case there was something on the pond.
Imagine my thrill, when I saw
not just ONE
gorgeous swans swimming and eating by a beaver hut!
My heart nearly stopped while shooting these. I was so afraid they'd see me and fly away:
Do you know what kind of swans they are?
You can read about them HERE.
I was very happy that they were close enough to get with my 300mm lens!
They are so elegant and graceful!:
I want one for my bathtub.
Oh, wait. I don't HAVE a bathtub.
Wonder if he'd like it in the shower?:
They are even dramatic in black and white:
I could've watched them ALL DAY!:
They did look my way and noticed me.
I sucked in my breath.
They ignored that. (They must have thought it was the wind).
Besides. I think they were more hungry than worried about me:
One of them stepped on top of a log so we could see his entire self.
As suspected, his entire self
Such a showoff.
But, who could blame him?:
I bet they were named King and Queen
at the Homecoming Dance:
They mate for life.
Did you know that?
You can bet that I will be back there
if I can catch
their beautiful babies.....
I might've scared them away
that baby talk...
Didn't mean to pressure them.
Who am I kidding?
Yes, I did:
Let's leave them alone for a while...
They need some privacy.
After all, how ELSE am I gonna get
SEVEN swans a swimming????
- The Retired One
- I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!
- ► 2012 (91)
- ► 2011 (187)
- Bluejays on Ice!
- More Winter Wonderland!
- Happy Holidays to all of you!!
- Winter Wonderland
- Out in the Autumn Woods, the last post for Autumn ...
- Part TWO: Canyon Falls in Late Autumn
- We have a WINNER!....of the November's FREE PHOTO ...
- Part One: Canyon Falls; Late Autumn, Before the S...
- Raccoon! ( A story, but Scary, so not for Children...
- Cedar Waxwings!!
- MORE Dumb State Laws: Next: MARYLAND and MASSACHUS...
- Foggy Lake
- The McCormick Trail
- Remind Me NOT to Hail a Taxi in England....
- SEVEN Swans a Swimming......(well, Ok...TWO then!)...
- HERE They Are!! November's FREE PHOTO CONTEST Entr...
- ▼ December (17)
- ► 2009 (298)