Monday, October 4, 2010
More This and That from the Woods...
I am once again behind in posting the many photographs
I love to take!!
We are in FULL COLOR here,
in fact, at my house most of the trees tops are bare already
with only colored leaves still on the bottom halves.
So, I thought I'd better get going
and post some photos
I took in the woods a few weeks
before our color change here happened in full stride....
We were at a little pond in the woods
and I saw a huge shadow
on the road beside me.
I looked up...
and saw this!:
A huge Turkey vulture swooping over me.
He must have not liked me at his pond!
But he did give me some great shot opportunities!
He flew so close, I could capture his ugly red turkey-like head!:
You can see it in this blurry picture too!:
Remember a few blogposts ago
when I said my husband made me walk and climb into a little hidden
And I said I was glad I did?
Well this is a shot of the bottom of those falls, which I just loved:
We sat down here in this little spot for a little while....
which made me yearn to go and look at some other waterfalls....
So, we did!
This is called "Big Erik's Bridge"
after a large man that worked in some lumber camps
right near the river in years past.....
It has a couple sets of rapids and waterfalls right near the bridge..
a wonderful spot to take photographs during the different seasons:
A closeup of a little waterfall between some rocks:
There are little nooks and crannies all over the place
where water "falls" between rocks, which I loved!!:
You can see that at the time I was there, the leaves were just starting
to turn colors:
What is odd here, is that you can drive for 20 minutes
and the leaves or forest can be totally different,
and the changing leaves
can be way ahead
the place you just left.
Like this pond, for instance:
Lots more color here....and glorious reflections!!
You don't KNOW about
Be very glad.
Because it is bad.
You see, as soon as the leaves show me that they are changing into brilliant yellows, oranges and reds
I go into CRAZY PHOTO MODE!!
I make my poor husband bring me all over creation
every single waking moment
that I can get him to during this time of color in the U.P.
The poor guy is lucky that I let him sleep, or eat, or shower....
I am at the door, pointing at my watch, saying: "Hurry, don't you see that sun out? It is going to be a perfect color day out there...HURRY!!! I say HURRY!"
So, if you see a weary, run-down man with big rings under his eyes
that would be him.
Because, we have had a ton of sunny days in a row here.
And, you guessed it....
I've had him on the run.
He is probably the only man in the U.P. who prays for rain every fourth or fifth day
just so he gets some rest.
But, don't worry....
I remind him daily that this season is verrrrry short here...
Before we know it, all the leaves will be down and we will be having SNOW...
So, I also remind him to suck it up
to load the car.
Besides, I always make the sandwiches and pack the picnic basket....
So, that's not so bad, is it????
- The Retired One
- I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!
- ► 2012 (91)
- ► 2011 (187)
- More This and That from the Woods!
- More Scenic Shots from the Woods!
- Random Thoughts about Random Subjects. Today?: Sho...
- More This and That from the Woods
- U.P. Autumn Waters!
- We have a WINNER!!! September's FREE PHOTO Contest...
- More This and That from the Woods!
- Funny Headlines!
- Random Thoughts about Random Subjects (Again!)
- More Autumn Splendor
- Yet more Color and U.P. Beauty!
- More Awe-inspiring U.P. Color!
- Color, Color....Everywhere!
- More Dumb State Laws!: Maine!!!
- Rockin' Water!
- More This and That from the Woods...
- Here They ARE!!!...September's FREE PHOTO CONTEST ...
- ▼ October (17)
- ► 2009 (298)