Sunday, October 23, 2011
Point Abbaye in the Upper Peninsula (U.P.) of Michigan
One of the pristine places on Lake Superior is close to a little town in the U.P.
called Aura, Michigan.
It is called Point Abbaye.
We had a very unusual week of very hot October temperatures and happened to have company
with us for five days.
We immediately thought of taking them there, because we knew the autumn leaves were still up and the rocks and scenary would be delightful there.
Today, I have some pictures to share with you of our trip to this lake wonderland.
The rocks on the shore here are volcanic looking. Rugged and full of lichen and sharp design:
The shale under the water are amazing shades of greens, oranges and yellows too.
As an added bonus, you can look out and see the Huron Islands in the distance:
The islands look close enough to swim to, but believe me, they are not!:
There is supposed to be a lighthouse on one of the Huron Islands, and someday I am going to find someone with a "seaworthy" boat to take me there to take pictures. See this LINK.
To think that Mother Nature painted all these rocks on Lake Superior. They are amazing!:
We were incredibly lucky. The day we were there it was sunny, warm, colorful
and best of all? =
NO ONE else was there.
We had the solitude of the crashing waves and natural beauty all to ourselves.
It was heaven.
Come visit me, I will take you there.....
- The Retired One
- I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!
- ► 2012 (91)
- Happy Halloween!!!! Your treat? : This and that ...
- Eagle Rock Lighthouse
- Ask not for whom the Autumn calls, it calls for YO...
- Mouth of the Huron River on Lake Superior!
- Point Abbaye in the Upper Peninsula (U.P.) of Mich...
- Autumn in the U.P.: Brockway Mountain !!
- We have a Winner!: Sept. 2011 Free Photo Contest: ...
- Goat's Beard? and Other Garden Flowers back in Sum...
- A Late Summer Garden: Part FIVE
- Foxglove and Crazy Daisies!!
- A Late Summer Garden: Part FOUR (oh, and a visitor...
- Revisiting a Late Summer Garden: Part THREE
- RE-REVISED: Here they Are: September 2011's FREE P...
- Revisiting a Late Summer Garden: Part TWO
- Fabulous Waves against the Presque Isle breakwater...
- ▼ October (16)
- ► 2010 (230)
- ► 2009 (298)