Tuesday, June 7, 2011
Spring Birds in the U.P.!!
Enough of the Florida photos!!
On to finally seeing the Spring unfold in the Upper Peninsula (U.P.)
As usual, we get Spring much later than the entire rest of the nation,
due to the fact that we are very far north and on the chilly shores
The photos below were taken the end of April.
We had a snowstorm then (our last one!)
and it seemed that every type of bird within 100 miles
started flying into our area.
I don't have photos of every kind of bird we saw within a few days, but we had so many different
migrating birds coming in..it was amazing.
Some of these birds stay all year round but some we only see for a little while
and they go even farther north.
The Flickers are still here, but we hadn't seen any until April this year:
We had pretty Juncos this winter, but now in June they are all gone.
This little sparrow was hiding from the storm:
The grackles showed up late April and even more came in May:
We had a family of 13 blue jays that stayed with us all winter. Then, they started nesting in late April and disappeared for a while..Now, in June we have seen 4 back:
We have several of these little chipping sparrows to keep us company:
I am amazed by the colors in the European Starlings...they showed back up in May:
Our 11 doves stayed here all winter!:
This fuzzy European Starling did NOT like the snowstorm either!:
We weren't sure what kind of bird this was...we thought a female finch, as it loved the thistle!:
We heard the distinct call of the Red Winged Blackbird before we actually saw one! Now, in June, we haven't seen them come to the feeders much...but are still seeing them out in fields:
A Flicker and a European Starling sharing the suet!:
Two doves snuggling on the branch during the last snow storm of the season!:
We have been enjoying many more birds coming our way this spring....goldfinches, purple finches, hummingbirds, robins, house wrens, catbirds, and our biggest thrill at our feeders: Baltimore Orioles....
THAT is a story for a different day.......
- The Retired One
- I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!
- ► 2012 (91)
- Beatiful, and, Ummm...not so beautiful...all in th...
- Spring Into Summer...
- Spring's Wonderful Bounty
- More Garden Blooms...
- Blooms and one bird....
- Birds and Blooms! (Wait a minute...isn't that the ...
- More Outside U.P. Discoveries!
- Woodchuck!! (Or Groundhog?)...
- Outside in the U.P. !!
- Spring Trip to the U.P. Woods!--Part Two
- Spring Trip to the U.P. Woods!--Part One
- We have a winner for the May's FREE PHOTO CONTEST!...
- Spring Birds in the U.P.!!
- The Second Set of our Trip to Florida Pictures, (o...
- Here They Are!! May's entries for the FREE PHOTO C...
- ▼ June (15)
- ► 2010 (230)
- ► 2009 (298)