Saturday, June 11, 2011
Spring Trip to the U.P. Woods!--Part One
I couldn't wait for our northern wilderness roads to dry up from the winter meltdown
so that we could go out for our first Spring ride to see what wildlife we could see.
So, in May, when the roads looked passable...
off we went to explore.
A new beaver hut on one of our favorite ponds out in the middle of nowhere:
It MUST be Spring....the chipmunks were out!:
On the way to Craig Lake, there is a place in the rock bluffs that have waterfalls every spring
from the snow melting. There are not falls there after the Spring is over.
We came around a corner and saw this Mallard behind a tree. He hadn't seen me yet, so I quietly got out of the car and captured some shots of him:
I just love the old beaver ponds out in the middle of the woods because you never know what kind of wildlife you will see, and their wild grasses and dead logs make them very picturesque. This time, we spied two pairs of ducks..I am not sure what kind of ducks these were:
One more shot of the waterfalls:
We saw one lone goose...I think she had a nest across the pond, so we didn't stay too long to take her photo:
We also thought the Mallards were guarding a nest, too:
There was a Mallard pair at another stream area that day too:
We spent all day touring roads we had missed going on all winter....
one of our Spring rituals here that I wait for every year.
The only trouble is, if I had MY way, I would be going and doing that EVERY day now that Spring/Summer is here
and we wouldn't get much else done.
So, I compromise with myself now to try and limit our adventures to once or twice a week instead.
An addiction like this is hard to deal with.
Is there such a thing as "Wilderness Seekers Anonymous"????
(if you know of any such support group, send me the info, STAT!)
Speaking of addictions...I hope you are addicted to my
FREE PHOTO CONTESTS!!
This month's theme is:
So, get busy and look for a photo out there that fits the theme...
and send it to me no later than midnight, by June 30th.
You don't have to be a Blogger to enter,
but you DO
have to follow
- The Retired One
- I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!
- ► 2012 (91)
- Beatiful, and, Ummm...not so beautiful...all in th...
- Spring Into Summer...
- Spring's Wonderful Bounty
- More Garden Blooms...
- Blooms and one bird....
- Birds and Blooms! (Wait a minute...isn't that the ...
- More Outside U.P. Discoveries!
- Woodchuck!! (Or Groundhog?)...
- Outside in the U.P. !!
- Spring Trip to the U.P. Woods!--Part Two
- Spring Trip to the U.P. Woods!--Part One
- We have a winner for the May's FREE PHOTO CONTEST!...
- Spring Birds in the U.P.!!
- The Second Set of our Trip to Florida Pictures, (o...
- Here They Are!! May's entries for the FREE PHOTO C...
- ▼ June (15)
- ► 2010 (230)
- ► 2009 (298)