Monday, September 20, 2010
Turtles and Tufts!
You never know WHAT you will find
when you go on
a photo shoot
out in the woods.
One day, we were surprised to
still see turtles.
We ordinarily see quite a few
in the springtime,
but when autumn rolls around,
we don't usually see many.
We rolled up to a beaver pond in our truck
and saw a turtle way out in the pond
on the very edge of a log.
I hopped out of the truck, expecting the turtle
to jump in the water right away, and not give me the opportunity for a shot at it.
Imagine my surprise, when not only did he STAY on the log,
but began to do some funny antics for me:
(Tell me that he is not "balancing" on that log and sticking his leg out?)
I began to laugh, at which point, he jumped in the water.
Embarrassed no doubt. haa
We found another turtle on a log sunning himself further down the road
in another pond.
Must have been a suntanning kind of day!:
Here is a plant beside the pond that had metamorphized into a seed tuft. I loved it!:
Three turtles on a log! (Gee that sounds like the name for a child's book, doesn't it?):
We saw a few more, but they immediately jumped into the water, the minute I got out of the truck.
(They must have heard from the first turtle and didn't want to embarrass themselves either!)
This time of year, one is usually disappointed
about the lack of wildflowers
(or hybrid flowers for that matter) to photograph.
Up this far north, things are dying fast due to frost and the cold night temperatures.
However, if you take the time to look close, you find seed pods that are very interesting..
or in my case,
little TUFTS in plants that you wonder what the heck they are!
So, upon gazing on these, if anyone out there knows what kind of plant or bush
this was before it went to "tufts", please share your knowledge with us in the comment section.
But, I was amazed at the artistry in these seed tufts...I found them full of texture
and wonderful to photograph due to the movement in them!!
A bush of little dustmops!!
I just loved their looks-like-I-just-woke-up-with-tousled-hair look!:
I wanted to run my fingers through their hair:
And, I loved the little seed pod centers inside all that "hair":
you know ME.
I had to play with the image in black and white too.
Loved how it looks that way!
The shaggy bush, from afar,
reminded me of something you'd see in a
(and the U.P. is pretty FAR AWAY from Japan, people!!)
Maybe next time you go into the woods
and are disappointed not to find beautiful flowers
or exotic animals....
Because nature has beauty
everywhere, at all times.....
You just have to
let it show you....
- The Retired One
- I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!
- ► 2012 (91)
- ► 2011 (187)
- Blue Heron Sighting!
- Princess in the Woods?
- My FAVORITE kind of Surprise in the Woods!!
- This and That from the Woods....
- Random Thoughts about Random Subjects: Today? Ch...
- Turtles and Tufts!
- What the Heck is a Bittern???
- Sandhill Crane Migration!!
- Bugs, Buds, and other Beauty!
- August 2010 FREE Photo Contest Winner for Sunrises...
- Butterfly, Bridge, and Nature's Beauty
- More this and that August Photos!
- Summer Birds!
- My Birthday Gift to YOU!!!
- More This and That from July and August
- This and That from July and August
- Here they ARE!!==August's Photo Contest Entries!!
- ▼ September (18)
- ► 2009 (298)