LIKE MY BLOG? Click below on "FOLLOW" and add yourself to the list of my followers!

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION
All pictures (and blogposts) are copyrighted and may not be reproduced/used in any manner without my PRIOR approval. Thank you for respecting my hard work.

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Who says Monkeys aren't Smart?

Get this:

Researchers recently revealed that they had observed monkeys (1) planning future combat and (2) perhaps teaching their young to floss.
A researcher from Sweden's Lund University, writing in the journal Current Biology, described a daily ritual of a 30-year-old chimpanzee that loathes his human
visitors at a zoo north of Stockholm and thus begins every morning by roaming his enclosure to collect stones and place them strategically in handy piles for subsequently hurling at irksome visitors.

And a researcher at Kyoto University's Primate Research Center told Agence France-Presse in March that he had observed mother long-tailed macaques in Thailand flossing their teeth (with strands of human hair) more frequently if their young are present and hypothesized that they were teaching dental hygiene. [Washington Post, 3-10-09] [Agence France-Presse, 3-11-09]
*****************************************************************************************
Does anyone else find this (ummm...): Disturbing????

MY THOUGHTS:

The monkeys are getting aggressive and planning to hurl stones at "irksome" visitors?
Does this sound like Planet of the Apes to you?
They are planning to revolt and we will end up the ones in the cages. It is just a matter of time.
I don't know about you, but I am going to start stocking up on bananas.

Monkeys dental floss????
Who knew!
(And try NOT to think about the use of hair to do this with. But you CAN'T, can you?)
This is also disturbing, on SO many levels.
I find it hard to be diligent on doing this every time I brush. You mean to tell me the monkeys are doing a better job at this than I am? AND that they are teaching their young to floss?
Before we know it, they will be doing manicures on them and clipping their husbands ear hair.
Not to mention man-scaping their husband's eyebrows.

Then, it will only be a matter of time before they are botoxing and putting collagen in their lips to make them even more full.
Then, men monkeys will be combing in "Grecian Formula" and "Just for Men" into their gray hair, and lady monkeys will be shaving their legs, and wearing mascara.

But my MAIN fear?:
They may look and behave better than us humans when it is all said and done.

13 comments:

Insanitykim said...

Wow...

Ya know, I have seen monkeys/chimps do a LOT worse at the zoo...in fact I have had to turn the children around. Many times I would have preferred rocks!

Now the teeth flossing...that is amazing to imagine, from an animal that throws its poo for fun!

HAHAHA! Can you see a monkey with JUST shaved legs? That's hysterical!

Oh my...this was a funny one!

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

So true...

Ann said...

after what that monkey did to that lady I will always keep my distance from any of that breed of animal.

The Retired One said...

Insanity Kim: True..watching them at the zoo can be a bit (ummm) embarassing!

Mary: Let me know when you teach your monkeys how to dental floss. ha

Grannyann: I know...that was TERRIBLE. But, like people, there are some violent ones, I am sure!

Anonymous said...

Say, don't they already do that stuff in the jungle anyway? Maybe not with FLOSS but with leaves? And "we" are supposed to take credit for "teaching them" something they do in the wild? They DO groom each other but maybe they asked for part of the stimulus package....

The Retired One said...

Cathy: I say we should take credit for everything in the UNIVERSE. And, heck, lets ask for part of the stimulus package while we are at it (for being that great!)

Rick (Ratty) said...

I don't think we have to worry that they will behave better than humans. I've read that chimps are quite skilled at warfare. The winners rape, murder, pillage, and take hostages and slaves. They are too much like humans, and they behave no better when it comes down to it.

The Retired One said...

Ratty: I suppose you are correct...sad that the human race hasn't gotten above the behavior of apes!

rainfield61 said...

Monkeys always imitate human. They are just the mirror image of you. So, you better know what I mean.

Loree said...

It does sound kind of scary. Can you imagine us all in cages and the monkeys throwing us peanuts??

The Retired One said...

Rainfield: I better get a better mirror. ha

Loree: If you haven't seen the series of movies called "Planet of the Apes" you need to see them. They are about exactly that!

pehpot said...

Ha! I have seen that movie and it is horrible, hard to imagine LOL and specially the last part..

but anyways on the lighter note, can you just imagine an octomom monkey? complete with the lips? LOL

and lastly, I joined a blogging contest and would really appreciate it if read and vote for this article :)

Thanks a lot!

Mommy Blog
Blogging Tips

The Retired One said...

Pehpot: Oh goodness! You have quite the imagination, Pehpot!

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.

REMINDER: All photographs on this blog are COPYRIGHTED.
Please do not copy any of my photographs (or narratives) without my permission! All pictures will be tracked for copyright violations.

Lijit Search

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About Me

My photo
I retired in June 2008 and started my blog in November 2008. I worked at several jobs as a Registered Nurse prior to retirement. I LOVE being retired! Blogging has offered me a whole new venue to start writing again and to share new hobbies such as gardening, birdwatching and sharing my nature photography. If you like my blog, PLEASE click on "follow this blog". Having a lot of followers reading my blog gives me incentive to continue to do photography and to continue to write. I also LOVE comments, so I encourage you to leave me a comment after you read my posts. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read me!!

Blog Archive

ultimate translation selector

To get more traffic to your blog: